Chinese-Forums

CCTV 9 Documentary channel

Shelley

Not sure when CCTV 9 Documentary channel started broadcasting as I have had technical issues with our satellite system (not Sky).

The technical issues have been resolved and we are able to get all the CCTV channels we used to get and oh joy and happiness I find there is CCTV 9 Documentary channel. Just as I remember it before it changed to CCTV news.

I am very happy to find this on again. I like it because it combines my love of Chinese culture, nature, and Chinese life, and all the other interesting things it shows.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else is interested in it.

Yes you do have to take it all with those special filter glasses, but as roddy says there is loads of really interesting stuff.

It is available on line. You have to type CCTV 9 Documentary in to the search and you should get it.

I found it here http://cctvdocumentary.cntv.cn/index.shtml

I couldn't get it to work because my translation skills failed when trying to follow the instructions to be able to watch it. I got the plug in for firefox but then I got lost on the website that you had to go to download something. So if any one works it out please let me know.

I will have a look at A bite of China too.

You can watch stuff pretty easily by clicking through to specific documentaries - eg, this on Dunhuang seems to work fine. The 'watch live'  thing doesn't seem to work for me, but that's not so useful anyway, I'd say. 

• 9 months later...

Aha! I found Shelley's original post. I figured this would be a better place for links. There are two series related to Dun huang. The first is "Dun huang, history's heavenly stage," with 9 parts. I found a similar CCTV documentary on YouTube. The other is "Portrait of Real Current Life, Silk Road: the Chinese Theatrical Spectacle" (parts 1, 2, 3, 4), and looks like an expansion of the story told in part 8 of "Dun huan." These look great for anyone interested in 敦煌 or dance!

• Like 1

I haven't been able to see these CCTV 9 Documentary videos online. When I browse the page linked to by Shelley and choose an episode to watch, I am taken to the video page but the "video box" is not there (that is, everything between the area for date/front size/"share this" and the comment section below is blank). Is it supposed to ask you to get a plug-in automatically? Tried both Firefox and Chromium. Maybe it's a special Nobel Peace Prize punishment for us Norwegians :P

I have not been able to watch live but all the archived programs seem to be fine to just watch without any extra software.

I watch CCTV9 Documentary via satellite on Thor5. If anyone wants the exact details I can find out.

Oh not keen on IE, not even sure if I have a copy any more, but it might be worth a go.

In Firefox and chrome it seems to want you to install a extra bit software to run the live video. I wasn't able workout what to do using my limited Chinese, especially this kind of techie stuff.

The player on the website uses Adobe Flash Player. The player is already integrated into Chrome, and all other browsers will need the plug-in from the Adobe website (https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/).

In case anyone is interested, I found the Dunhuang documentaries in Chinese. "Dun huang, history's heavenly stage" is  敦煌伎樂天, with parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. "Silk road: the Chinese theatre spectacle" is 人文天地 - 絲路花雨, with parts 1, 2, 3, 4. Might be a way of checking comprehension since the English and Chinese versions seem to be the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...