Chinese-Forums

Cost of Living

Pearl133

Tell us... Why will you be in Harbin? What are you going to be doing? What kind of place are you looking to stay in? Does 5000 include cost of rent and/or hotel/hostel?

5000 would be enough for me in Beijing, not including rent. Id think Harbin would be fine. I don't cook all my own meals and i'm partial to some expensive beers and delicious western food on occaision too.

Depending on location and style, rent will be 1500 - 3000 RMB/month.

Even at the high end, if you're cooking your own meals, 2000 RMB should be enough unless you're using a lot of imported goods and/or eating a lot of beef and pork. 

Is more than enuf for you to stay in Harbin. In Harbin 2000 RMB you can get about 40-50 meter square apartment nearby campus area with fully furniture. One month about 1500 RMB if you cook by yourself. You still have around 1500 RMB can hang out at BOX club every weekend. :P  

5000 RMB a month is enough for me to live well in Kunming if splurge items like travel and occasional long luxury sessions at the sauna are excluded.

Monthly averages for me are 1800 to 1900 a month rent including utilities + 1000 for groceries (I cook most meals) + 500 for eating out and transportation (I use the bus.) Miscellaney such as mobile phone use, internet and postage probably add 200 a month. I also spend about 200 a month on massage (foot and tuina) and consider them a "preventive medical" expense.

When I have a tutor, those fees are extra and vary widely; they can easily push it over the 5000 mark.

Don't really think you should count on being able to save anything unless you are an experienced China hand and good at living lean in a Chinese environment. Need to speak the language to do that.

Shared accommodations are far and away your best bet but may be difficult to arrange for a period of only one month.