Chinese-Forums

Anyone likes to translate subtitles?

dlite

Hello and welcome,

I am not the person for this but I am sure if you wait someone may be able to help.

Doing a whole movie is quite an undertaking, you may need to hire the services of professional translator.

Which movie is it? Perhaps someone can help you search. Subtitling an entire movie is a lot of work, usually done by paid professionals or occasionally by very dedicated fans.

• New Members

:mrgreen: 

Yes, I know it's a long shot. And it's a long movie as well. I don't really expect anyone to do it.

And definitely not a subtitle editing job. Just translating the subs, so I can assemble a proper 

subtitle file myself. How much does a professional usually charge for a job like that btw?

It's a film that is basically lost. "Fei xia a da" aka "The Red Lotus Society". I would naturally have

purchased an original DVD with subs etc. if it was available.

It's aired on Chinese TV occationally. I believe I saw it on the LS Times TV program schedule for next week.

After it toured festivals around the world in 94-95, it was released on VHS, but it never made it into the

DVD-"era". A few copies can be found on Chinese auctioning sites like TaoBao.com. That's where I 

purchased my copy - through the TaoBao agent Yoybuy.com.

Does anyone subscribe to the Canadian Chinese TV-channel LS Times?

I'm not sure if they air The Red Lotus Society with English subtitles, but I believe it's scheduled

to be aired next Thursday 17'th, 5:45 ET. Unless I misunderstood the program.

http://www.lstimes.ca/index.php/en/progream-schedules

My current copy is pretty bad. Maybe I could get my hands on a better copy,

with English subs. I'd subscribe to LS Times TV and go for a pay-pr-view option if they streamed

for international customers, but I believe it's a cable thing for Canadians only.

All best,

D.

Hi, I thought I'd be helpful if this movie's language is mandarin, and can you tell me how long time this movie is if you like? Eh, it's so hard to found this movie, even for a Chinese, so sorry to bother you, I really can't the information. I mean, I would like to translate it but it's kind of hard to translate every part of a movie to English for me, eh, but I'd like to help!

Not sure what would be more work, translating the subs or tracking down existing ones...

If it's been at foreign film festivals, there are subtitles somewhere. But finding those might be close to impossible.

I was going to suggest finding a Canadian willing to tape it for you with subs, but then I saw that the channel it's going to be shown on is a Chinese channel, so there's a good chance it's going to be shown without English subtitles. There are a lot of overseas Chinese in Canada, I assume that channels caters to them. You can still consider finding a nice Canadian to tape it for you to get a better copy.

I would charge 18 eurocent per character, plus 20% VAT, if I had a text file of the subs, and for that price I'd make them in the right length (lines not too long so they fit the screen). But if I had to play-pause copy it from the movie I would probably have to charge more. You'll get better prices in China, but usually worse quality. If you were going to do a lot of those, I'd advise you to first get a text file made in China and then ask a native English speaking translator to translate it.

Okay, I'll contact you, eh, maybe after I got my computer back from my parents.

BTW, I thought it's okay that someone make subtitles free, there's a lot of groups translate western movie, tv series, comics and books, you know, unofficial groups, without them I even don't know other countries' culture, I had translate some American comics book into Chinese, and I would like to make some subtitles for movies and tv shows, if that's possible.