Chinese-Forums

stroke order for 车

li3wei1

I normally don't worry about stroke order much, but working with Skritter is forcing me to pay attention.

I've noticed that in the lower 十 of the 车 character, the horizontal stroke comes first, but when it appears as a component, the vertical stroke come first (with one exception so far: 辈, though I haven't searched exhaustively). However, when it's part of 军 or any character containing 军, the horizontal stroke comes first. Again, there may be other exceptions.

I'd be interested in the 'logic' behind this, or the history, or just whatever anybody uses to remember which is which.

thanks!

It is my understanding that when 车 is on the left side, writing the rising horizontal stroke last makes transition to the right part of the character easier (for cursive writing). This is not needed when 车 is in another position.

较,辆 but 库

Similarly, 手 in 托 ends with the rising horizontal stroke, but not in 拳.

• Like 1

There is a certain logic behind it. Observe 車 written in 草書. If one turns this into regular script, it would be 一ㄥ丨一, which is what you get when it is left of something. However, in order to make it conform to regular script stroke order tendencies, it was changed to 一ㄥ一丨 when written alone.

• Like 2