Chinese-Forums

Group read - San Guo Yan Yi

Shelley

Worked my way through the first couple of pages.

But I have to admit I am finding it slow, I have also taken the advice someone gave about have an English translation to hand to clarify things, I have found this to be very useful and am hoping my reliance on it will diminish as I get into the rhythm of things.

So far so good though.

I am getting the hang of the style i think, a few pages in now. Had a busy week a work but after this week I should have more time for a few more pages. Slow progress but steady.

How is going for everyone else?

Do you have the Moss Roberts translation? I took a class from him once--a very nice man! I can't obtain a physical copy of the original here--there is a single Chinese store here but they failed to remunerate me for a translation I did thus I have duly "unfriended" them. I might have to buy a copy from Amazon--but I hate giving Jeff Bezos even two thin dimes. Sorry I'm such a laggard Shelley!

No I don't have that version. Have you tried googling for a PDF, might be a bit of a far fetched hope but its worth trying , you'll be surprised what is out there.

Don't worry about where you are with the reading its not supposed to stressful, once you get a copy of the version you like i am sure you will fly along.

I have the English version as a PDF just refer to if I get in mess with the Chinese one. :)

Hi Shelley, I'm moving along slowly. I find I need to look up an awful lot of characters (who knew you'd need a special character just for "the reflection of a rainbow.") And it's summertime, which is pretty busy with work outdoors. Still, it seems doable with patience, and I am sure that one I get the author's core vocabulary down and get accustomed to the terse style, I'll manage. It's fun, though, like going back in time.

• 1 month later...

Well prompted by Basil here's how my reading is going -  its not to be honest.

It got a bit boring, so i wasn't encouraged to put in the effort.

i have compromised and am watching the TV series and reading it in English.

Now the summer is over i may pick it up again to read through the long winter nights.

I have started my edex grammar course and when that is finished I may pick it up again.

How is everyone else doing?

It's hard enough to put one foot in front of the other, when it's over 90℉ with 80% humidity every day for 5 months solid, much less read San Guo. On the bright side will be in New York next week & intend to pick up some Chinese & Japanese books including 三國演義 。