Chinese-Forums

Hawaiian Music

Ian_Lee

Does anyone like Hawaiian music?

Now I am hooked up to Hawaiian music. In the morning when I drive to work, I always tune in to the Hawaiian music channel. It is more refreshing than those rock or rap music.

Among all the Hawaiian music singers, I like the 400-pound guy -- Israel Kamakawiwo'ole -- the most. But too bad he passed away in 1997.

The wonderful thing about Iz (his nickname) is that you can't imagine such a chunky guy could move his fingers around the small Ukulele and sang with such a soft and mellow voice.

If you have watched the movie "Meet Black Joe", at the last scene when Jack Hawkins walked with the death messenger, Brad Pitt, to the end of his life -- Iz's song was played -- which really overwhelmed me.

Iz, needless to say, is really huge in Hawaii.

I tried to purchase some traditional Hawaiian music (old school) at Honolulu airport last month but could not find much beyond the fat braddah.

When I lived in Honolulu many moons ago I memorized the Hawaiian lyrics to "Kaimana Hila", a song about Diamond Head, and became popular at local karaoke venues.

My favorite Hawaiian music is all on old cassette tapes and I can' t find new CDs with my favorite songs. They just don't make 'em like they used to.