Chinese-Forums

Good mandarin course in Shanghai

knuterr

• New Members

Hi guys!

I'm moving to Shanghai this week because I'll be starting a year as an exchange student at Shanghai Jiaotong University in September. Before semester start I would like to take an intensive mandarin course. I have googled a bit, and I have found for instance a course called "Intensive 30" at Mandarin Garden[1]. This type of course looks like the kind I want: An intensive mandarin course that covers speaking, listening, reading and writing. The only thing stopping me from signing up is that I don't really know the school, if it's good or not. Does anyone here know? Do you know of any good alternatives?

I'm an intermediate learner btw.

Thanks a lot for your help, it is very much appreciated!

[1] http://www.mandaringarden.org/Typeofclass/2010-05-31/13.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to some private schools also since I'll be spending a few months in Shanghai.

Where did you end up studying?

I'm in the same spot as you were and I'm just browsing the Web for useful reviews, but there a not many of them.

Hi you guys!

I'm interested to hear of any good intense courses as well that aren't too ridiculously pricey. Hoping to do a year long trip to Shanghai next year. The one I've been looking at for a while is Mandarin House, and they seem quite accommodating and friendly, and the web setup looks quite professional with lots of successful results, but I just want to see if there are any other options available. Basically I'm hoping to do a magazine internship in Shanghai at the end of next year and was hoping to do 5 or 6 months of intensive mandarin classes before that to at least give myself proficient conversation ability (at the minute i'm a total beginner)

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

A good idea if you have a bit of time is to drop into schools and try a practise lesson. Chinese teachers always seem to be very nice and helpful even if the boss isn't really. Anyone in Xujiahui, Jing An or Hongkou areas feel free to drop into us for a free lesson. Out Hongkou campus is a lovely old Villa and we have a bean to cup coffee maker ( Admins don't take this as a bribe ) 

Our teachers are happy to sit down and go through anything you need. Also there are always students here so you can speak with them and see if our approach works for you. 

I don't want to be throwing links around but our school is SNMandarin and here is a Tackk with signup form for a trial class https://tackk.com/chineselessonsshanghai%C2'> Good luck with the Chinese I am around HSK 1 right now and have a lesson or two every week