Chinese-Forums

Harbin impressions

studychinese

@abcdefg - probably good advice to be reviewing the policies of these schools regarding changing teachers.

And that's interesting that you say that, and yet it makes sense...that even within a given school, some teachers may speak better than others, and of course some will teach better than others. And you're right - you can't always tell in advance anyway. Also, whereas one likes to think they can get along with everyone, reality is - just like you suggest - some teachers will just click with you more than others.

How true, that just because you get recommendations or referrals for one teacher, doesn't mean he or she will be able to work with your schedule.

You know, originally I was toying with the idea of moving to Harbin for a time, and not only beginning serious immersion type Mandarin lessons, but also starting and running a business part time. Well, the logistics of all that have resulted in me starting my business here at home in the U.S., and once things get rolling, and money starts coming in, then I hope to temporarily relocate to Harbin, where I'll begin some serious language acquisition while running my business remotely. But in the mean time, I'm trying to soak up and learn all I can about the area, and the different methods people are using to learn Mandarin (be that different schools, teachers, or tutors.) Funny lesson I picked up from being in I/T for a while - is that hearing several people explain or talk about the same thing...invariably nets you some little details that you may not have gotten had you stopped at the first person's explanation. I just hope people don't get tired of me ask different folks the same question, lol.

But your point is well taken, about the paralysis of analysis. I'm unfortunately kind of acquainted with that, lol. But hopefully once my business gets rolling, I'll be able to realize one of my goals of beginning to study Mandarin in earnest, and do it there in Harbin.

@schen24 thanks for the sneak peek at your review of your experience with 1to1 Mandarin Workshop. In fact, this may very well end up being where I study once I make it to Harbin (once my business gets off the ground.) As far as I can tell, to date, people have only had good things to say about them.  As I read more of their reviews, the more comfortable I am with the idea of studying there.

• Like 1

I miss Harbin so much, lived there for 4 years.

There's definitely some racism against Russians, I remember going shopping and not exactly being welcome, until suddenly "OH!? You're not Russian!?" and things all got much friendlier and fun from there.

There's really nothing wrong with the way they speak, it's more that you're not experienced enough with the language yet. You need to become more accustomed to their accent. I remember I had difficult understanding some people for a few months, then either (1) all those people died and vanished (2) they suddenly all adopted a new accent [or] (3) I got accustomed to their accent and didn't even notice it any more.

I really miss the food there! Oh 学府四道街 why must you be so far?

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello guys, 

I know this is not the forum to ask my question but its urgent as  i am travelling for the first time 

I am arriving to Harbin next week for my studies. Actually i am travelling to Harbin from Hong Kong by Shenzhen airlines. With a one hour stopover at Yentai airport, i want to know whether i will need to check in with my luggage again at Yentai airpourt?..

Thank yo 

#45 -- @nvp18 --

I am arriving to Harbin next week for my studies. Actually i am travelling to Harbin from Hong Kong by Shenzhen airlines. With a one hour stopover at Yentai airport, i want to know whether i will need to check in with my luggage again at Yentai airpourt?..

The answer is, yes. At your first stop inside the China Mainland ("China Mainland" does not include Hong Kong) you are required to clear customs and immigration. For you this means Yantai. You will need to check in again there, get a new boarding pass, etc.

If you are changing planes there, one hour might not be enough time. Be sure the entire trip (Hong Kong to Harbin) is issued on the same ticket. That way, if you miss your connecting flight, they will put you on the next plane or find you some place to spend the night.

Bear in mind that Yantai is a small airport, which in your case is both good and bad. The good is that the check-in lines will probably be shorter. The bad is that if you miss your Harbin flight, you might have to wait a long time for the next one.

Footnote: (Just to be completely clear) I'm assuming your "Yentai" is a typo and you actually meant Yantai 烟台 (in Shandong.)

• Like 1

abcdefg

thank you for the help :)

Yea, its Yantai.. Actually my travel agency has already booked the flights for me  and issued the tickets from MRU TO HK , then from HK  to HARBIN.  the transit to Yantai is included in the itinerary itself.

However, do you think i will need to clear customs in HK also?

However, do you think i will need to clear customs in HK also?

Sorry, but I'm not sure about that. I do not think you will as long as you are able to stay "airside" and just change planes. And I'm not sure about your luggage. Would suppose that it can be checked through. Maybe someone else can help there.

(From Mauritus to Harbin will be a long trip. I hope it goes smoothly.)

You also might try posting on Tripadvisor. Use the "Air Travel" forum, not the China or Hong Kong forum for best results.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Travel.html