Chinese-Forums

Kunming College of Chinese Studies closing?

alwayslol

I originally wanted to apply to the Kunming College of Chinese Studies for an 8 week program this summer. They have had a notice on their Webiste: http://www.sinostudy.org/?OVRAW=Yunnan%20University%20Chinese&OVKEY=yunnan%20university&OVMTC=advanced

which says that they have reached their maximum student quota. This message has been on their site for about 3 months now. Are they going to close altogether, or what? Anyone have any information?

Thanks.

alwayslol

They were advertising heavily a while ago, and Kunming is a popular destination. I’m slightly surprised to see that they are turning away business rather than cramming ever more students into the classrooms – a lesson there for some of the bigger universities in Beijing, I think.

Have you got any reason to think they are closing, rather than just full?

I also originally wanted to attend this school and have been frustrated by the quota message ... however, I"ve been getting in touch with people at Yunan University & Yunan Normal ... maybe you'll have some luck with those?

See you in Kunming (well, maybe)

Roddy,

The only reason I wonder if they're closing is because they've had this message posted on their Website for about 3 months now. So, if they were overflowing with applicants and they stopped taking all applications, wouldn't they have more slots available by now? It just seems like a long time to not be accepting applications. So I wonder if something more permanent isn't happening?

alwayslol

The English names are different, but the Chinese names are identical (except there's sometimes an extra 交流 ). Also, from the addresses and maps, they are at the very least on the same floor of the same building.

Roddy

You're kidding me! Could these schools in China make it any more difficult to take our money? For god's sakes, it's so impossible to find out any information, I'm about ready to go to Taipei. Their Websites are complete trash, with little to no incomprehensible English, if you find an email, often no one responds, and the replies I've gotten have said "We don't have any small classes this summer, unless your organize your own before coming." Geez! Surely there are loads of people who want to study short-term in the summer. Doesn't this happen? Why is it so impossible to get any information to plan before you get there? Why such terrible business practices? I just don't get it. Now, here's a school that for some ungodly reason decides to have two different names. Is this all orchestrated by some giggling Communist party official who thinks it's funny to confuse the waiguoren? :wall