Chinese-Forums

Any Graded Readers with English Translations?

Johnny20270

As the title suggest, does anyone know of any graded readers with an English Translations. 

I am reading Chinese Breeze and I find it a weakness and frustration that I never really know what the exact translations are. Grammar books / pods casts always include in so not sure why many grader readers don't. After all they are a learning tool

Two series you could consider to see if they satisfy your requirements:

"Readings in Chinese Literature Series" from Cheng & Tsui,

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Traditions-Readings-Chinese-Literature/dp/0887275346

"Tian Tian Zhongwen

http://www.amazon.com/Tian-Zhong-Wen-Tiantian-Zhongwen/dp/0230406610

Both of these have "interpretations" (not word-for-word translations) at the end of the book.

I am reading Chinese Breeze and I find it a weakness and frustration that I never really know what the exact translations are. Grammar books / pods casts always include in so not sure why many grader readers don't

Maybe not actual graded readers, but there are many bilingual books aimed at learners though most of them seem to have a higher level then Chinese Breeze. For the Chinese-Spanish books I got in the free give away  that seems to work really great as I'm learning both languages. Reading one language gives some general understanding that helps interpreting when reading the other language. After a few iterations the understanding of the stories has greatly increased.

In the same way reading the translation in a known language may help you understand the Chinese story. If you're after exact translations as you write, I'm not sure you should want those bilingual books. Exact translations are an illusion, they don't really exist though for simple unambiguous sentences you may get very close. Every word has it's own nuanced connotations (based on history and social context) that can't be translated. Many translations, even for learners, may be quite liberal. Therefore I think it is better to read and interpret based on vocabulary, grammar and context then based on direct translations. If you miss something that's no issue, you can go back and reread it. Every time you read it you get to exercise and a better understanding of the story.

many thanks.

Yeah it just bugs me that I don't really get it., i am not looking for exact translations just more the general gist of it, as things like the 是。。。的  construction changes things and I often miss that. Also Its just my learning style. I am definitely too rigid in my learning. I like to know everything 100% before moving on, Its a bit of a flaw towards effective learning. Need to break out of that habit

It's a bit of an investment, and they are in Traditional, but you might try DeFrancis' Beginning Chinese and Character Text for Beginning Chinese.  While they are technically textbooks, there is a lot of reading material in the Character Text, with pinyin and usually English translation in the Beginning Chinese book.