Chinese-Forums

Funny thing

TSkillet

Pazu: All I'm saying is that just be glad at least these people are friendly to you. You can't always get things your way.

Oh my goodness, 02.gif

I didn't say I wanted to get all things in my way, would you please just stick to my original meaning? 13.gif

I don't know how it works, but when I said I was annoyed by people's repeating Cantonese phrase, you think otherwise I wanted to be insulted; then when I said I wanted no repetitive phrase/question and you think I otherwise wanted everything to be in my ways... that's... can be .... v.......er...y............ annoying! 03.gif

I, however, really want to see how you will interpret the last sentence of the previous paragraph. 04.gif

I don't know how it works, but when I said I was annoyed by people's repeating Cantonese phrase, you think otherwise I wanted to be insulted;

When did I say you wanted to be insulted? My exact words were...

Would you rather for them to be friendly and say "sik teng ng sik

gong" or look down on you because you speak cantonese?

When people encounter someone different from them, they are usually friendly or scared therefore unfriendly, which may lead to looking down on someone. My point was that you should be glad that these people you encountered were friendly and not the latter. I never denied that hearing the same thing over and over again isn't annoying.

then when I said I wanted no repetitive phrase/question and you think I otherwise wanted everything to be in my ways... that's... can be .... v.......er...y............ annoying!

If you don't want to hear them saying "sik teng ng sik gong" why not just tell them instead of complain here?

I, however, really want to see how you will interpret the last sentence of the previous paragraph. 04.gif

Hey, I'm just as annoyed as you are. I don't exactly enjoy defending myself from being misunderstood and misquoted over and over again.

I don't exactly enjoy defending myself from being misunderstood and misquoted over and over again.

The question is, why is it necessary for you to 'defend' yourself (although I'm not sure you've been attacked) repeatedly?. Are we (or am I) deliberately misinterpreting your posts? I don't think so, personally.

You are the one who accused me of accusing others of something which I clearly denied many times.

I was trying to understand what you'd said and why you'd said it. I still fail. . .

Roddy

I made two points and somehow people misunderstood everything I said.

1.) When people encounter culture or people different than themselves, they usually respond either in a friendly way (due to curiousity) or unfriendly way (due to fear). These people that TSkillet and pazu encountered were friendly, although they may not be aware that their approach may annoy the very people they're trying to befriend because they simply haven't been told. This also answers pazu's question...

Yes, tell me why please. So many times that when people found out I was a Cantonese speaker then told me, "sik teng ng sik gong"...

2.) Complaining on this forum that these people who are trying to befriend you actually annoy you won't change anything. Try telling the people that annoy you in a friendly way while keep in mind that they only have good intentions. That's how you solve a problem, not by whining, but actually solving it.

---

I was going to let roddy have the last word but skylee's comment reminded me that obviously there are still people who either misunderstood my point because of the way I expressed myself or they simply want to misunderstand me for reasons only 老天爺 knows.

Give up, everyone. Give up.

Very mature, smithsgj. So somehow I am blamed for posting "irrelevant" information while both skylee and smithsgj get away with posting immature and rather annoying/offensive not to mention irrelevant comments. Do I sense favoritism?

I got a pm from kulong this morning, in which he pretty much withdrew himself from the forum - as far as I can tell because his views differ from others on the forum, and background differences make it difficult to relate. However, I seem to have a history of incorrectly interpreting things, so maybe you shouldn't trust me . . .

He also wishes the forum best of luck in the future.

I'm not overly suprised by this - a similar thing happened on a different forum some time ago. It also saves me the bother of deciding whether I should ask him to leave or not, which I'd been considering for some time.

I'm going to deactivate kulong's account and I'll tidy this topic up over the weekend. Comments are welcome.

Roddy

That's sad. I only just got here, but I took the most interest in Kulong's posts. His ideas are well thought out, and has the ability to offer a different perspective on issues than most people, and has a lot to say. Which is probably the most important thing in this form of communication, how are we supposed to have a good discussion if we all agree all the time?

I hope we can't trust Roddy :o But if Roddy is right, then "Good luck Kulong!"