Chinese-Forums

Private language schools help

Sarskate

Hi all,

I've been scouring this forum for a couple of weeks now and have finally decided to bite the bullet and post.

I am a qualified and working language teacher in Australia who is watching the gov. Strip money and resources from other languages and pour it into Chinese. So in the spirit of job security (and because I have always loved Asian languages) I have taken the plunge and started learning mandarin. I'm loving it and my current students think it's hilarious (especially since now I'm having to practice what I preach in regards to effective language learning).

But enough about me, Here's my actual question:

I am looking to travel to china (Beijing - this is non negotiable since I'm not the only one in my group, but the only one looking for language lessons. I know that other cities are wonderful and cheaper, but not for me this time round) and I am looking for a language school which meets specific requirements:

- I want at least 30 hrs a week (I will lower myself to 25 if it is truly worth it). If this time could include culture as well or in addition that would also be great.

- my dates are not all that flexible, I need to start either dec 8 or 15. I cannot start any later since I have to be back to work before the students.

- I want 5 weeks. Not 4, not 8. 5. (Which is why I am looking to private schools rather than universities)

- I don't particularly want accommodation as I am travelling with others

- I like a textbook as I find it helps bring structure. I'm currently using the NPCR range, and find them to be quite good for the adult learner. But I'm not afraid to go above and beyond a textbook.

- And most importantly, I want the full range of macro-skills (reading/writing/speaking/listening/grammar) to be addressed equally. I don't want just a speaking or just a reading based course.

Cost wise, I understand that going privately means paying more, but I do expect value for my dollar. Being winter (low) season there are hopefully some good deals out there.

There are a few schools I have my eye on, LTL and CLE particularly. Has anyone studies at these schools? I'm not looking for advertising. I know you love where you work and think it's the best place to learn mandarin (otherwise you wouldn't work there, I presume), but I would like some frank recommendations. I'm the kind of person who reads the cons before the pros to decide if the pros are worth it.

I know that no program is perfect, but I also know how I learn and what I need, and how to adapt the almost perfect program to suit the learner.

I love language and exploring new cultures and experiences through language. I can't wait to get started on my next language adventure!

Hello Sarskate, welcome to the forum! I don't have any feedback on your questions (I'll let someone who's actually been to Beijing and taken lessons answer you), but in case someone hasn't said "welcome" yet, I wanted to say thanks for moving from lurker to poster!

Wish you well in your project and welcome to this forum. Interesting about the shifting of foreign language learning resources.

I want at least 30 hrs a week (I will lower myself to 25 if it is truly worth it). If this time could include culture as well or in addition that would also be great.

Thirty plus hours a week is a lot; too much for most folks. Of course, if you are including cultural activities in that, it's a different situation. "Cultural activities" is a pretty broad term. I define that for myself to include things like walking in the park, having lunch or buying groceries, getting a foot massage later in the day. Not sure what you have in mind. (Calligraphy perhaps?)

I also realize that the amount of hours to study per week was not a question you asked, and as a professional language teacher you doubtless have your own ideas on that subject. But still, I would humbly suggest including schools in your selection process which offer 20 hours a week of classroom instruction. Twenty is the most common number that I have seen for private schools.

And you can always supplement the core curriculum on your own with the help of school staff.

I second what ABCEFG said, best to stick with 20 hours then do your own work in additon. That might include reading Chinese books (graded or native), listening to podcasts, doing all your homework, reviewing and previewing your classes or you could hire an additonal 1on1 tutor. Also don't forgot to add things like language exchange into the mix.

30 hours class time seems too much. Supplement 20 with other things. That could also include "cultural activities"

I am a Chinese student in sydney and I find Australia is an ideal country for learing Chinese as it is full of Chinese people, some of which may even hold a degree of teaching chinese as a second language (like me, haha). 

Can't recommend any school, sorry. 

Well, I've been to a few places : Paris, Berlin, London, New York, Bamako, Lisboa (Mali). One of the most common things there is : there are always Chinatowns since there are enough Chinese people overseas to "make" a Chinatown (2 in Paris, and a 3rd just outside of it). 

@Sarstake, I'm in a similar situation as you right now. I'm in Shanghai and I'm visiting several schools to determine where I'm gonna study. I have a dozen of weeks ahead of me, so I ruled out colleges and I want an Intensive Chinese course. I will finish my "visiting" tour of the schools in less than a week. I'll post my feedback in the thread I opened so maybe others people can benefit from it. 

Sorry you didn't get any directly reply from someone currently studying at LTL (I work there, so I will not further comment). If you want to speak to people who are currently studying at LTL, you could join the LTL Summer 2014 WeChat group (QR code attached), all people in there are either currenlty studying at LTL or have done so very recently and could give you first-hand feedback.

To join, you would have to download WeChat (微信) on your phone and then under "Discover" choose "Scan QR Code", scan the attached QR code with your mobile and you are in.

PS: If you are planning to come to China, then getting WeChat is probably a good idea in any case.

post-34293-0-69917300-1409461278_thumb.jpg