Chinese-Forums

CSC

liu xia

hello guys

, I'm applying for CSC 2015 but the embassy is not in charge of receiving the applications  , the site http://www.csc.edu.cn   is also always offline and never be working so i have two questions when its available  ,  :wall and if could i apply directly to CSC office in china is that allowed ?

:help  :help  :help

No, you cannot apply directly to the CSC Beijing office. The application for 2015 starts around early 2015. If you want to apply for a Bachelors degree then you will have no choice but to apply through your embassy. If you are in your country, then you have to submit your application to your embassy. If you are not in your country, then you have to ask them for an 'award letter' that you will have to attach to your application.

If you are applying for a Masters or PhD, then you can apply directly to the universities. You will have to tell them that you are applying for the Chinese government scholarship or CSC scholarship so they will give you a 'pre-admissions notice'. Some universities will require you to pay the application fee, others will waiver the application fee.

Remember this: the school can accept you, but CSC is responsible for actually paying for the tuition fees and your living costs while you are in China. So even if the university accepts you, you will still have to go through the CSC application. This includes recommendation letters (the higher the authority, the better). If you can get a recommendation letter from your embassy, then that is the best.

• Like 2

@shuoshuo thank you that was very helpful for me , is that the same if i'm applying to shanghai government scholarship I have read somewhere that csc don't accept individual applications so im still confused about where should I apply and what that exactly  means ,and can you do my favor and give example of other authorities cuz i'm not sure that I can get the recommendation letter from there :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

If your Chinese embassy won't do it, approach Chinese universities. All you have to do is send them an email or call them and tell them that you are interested in applying for the CSC scholarship for 2015 and if you can get a pre-admissions notice. They will ask you to apply to the university. Some universities will not charge you a fee, others will. Have a close relationship with the staff in charge of handling scholarships for the school. If you are in China, visit the school that you want, and find out what kind of documents you must provide in order for you to get the best chance possible to get the scholarship.

• Like 2

• New Members

Thank you @shuoshuo. So i can just email a Chinese university about the scholarship,then i will send my files to them(diploma,transcript etc.)? Should it be the school i have to study?(For example can i send my files to Wuhan University,but i want a scholarship in Xiamen) Because as far as i know i can choose 3 universities to study in.

Then i put their Agency no in scholarship website?

You have to be very careful with the university that you really want. You have to apply to the one you want, and make sure you put it as your first choice when you start the CSC application process. Some universities may reject you if they find out that they are not your first choice.

Shuoshuo is right.

If you are applying for the CGS- University Programme, you have to be careful about the university you are choosing, because it definitely should be your first choice on the CSC application. However, Under CGS-UP you can apply to as many university you want and that requires filling separate CSC forms for each application although that is not healthy. It can increase your chances or ruin your chances. I know of someone who applied to 4 different universities and was not selected while someone else applied to as many as 6 universities and was selected. That will consume your funds especially if you have to send the documents to the school by mail. I applied to only one university and thank God I got selected.

Also note that these universities are allowed certain numbers too ( as in slots), so if you are applying for masters or phd I suggest you look for a supervisor, if he accepts you, ask him to write you a recommendation/acceptance letter. Then with that and all your documents apply to the school. I am not saying it is a guarantee but it puts you above those without supervisors.

You can also choose the CGS- Embassy channel, but then you will be running against every other eligible applicant from your country for a slot ( and imagine the case where the country slots are small).

The choice actually is yours to make.  

Peace!

Mazi

• Like 2

Is there any reason to believe that a 2 year Chinese Language program will not be available?  The scholarship information doesn't mention it but we know people did 1 or 2 year Language studies on scholarship.

I'm getting nervous about this whole process lol.. seems a bit crazy.  I'm trying to go on scholarship for Fall 2015.  I already have a degree so I'm hoping that helps.

I have to wait.. Tsinghua got back to me saying to apply Fall 2015 the first date to apply is not until March something.  SO FAR lol!! I want to get it submitted NOOOOOW lol.

This is a bit disappointing because I wanted to apply to univ first so I could give CSC a copy of acceptance letter.  But I guess it is what it is.  I'm under the impression that CSC application starts in January of each year. 

Does anyone know if that's correct or if not, when it is?

Does anyone live in the NE USA region that knows anything about the Chinese Embassy in NY.  They are very hard to get a hold of.. lolol.
I'm trying to ask them some questions for when I need to start applying for CSC and I just can't seem to get anyone.  I'm about to just.. GO THERE.  Lol 

LOL DongLian - I love your spirit and enthusiasm. The application date for CSC scholarship depends on the country/region you're in. Check the forums, North America has been mentioned.

When you inquired about applications at Tsinghua, did you tell them that you want to apply for a "pre-admissions notice" so that you can use it for the CSC scholarship application? Scholarship applications begin early, you would need the pre-admissions notice before March.

@ DongLian

I live in NE USA, I saw there was an embassy in ny but I just sent it to DC because the ny embassy wasn't listed in the official CSC links. If I were you I'd send it to DC too. Or maybe check out the embassy personally? If it's anything like the Chinese visa office then good luck and get there early.

I'm about to!  I live near Philly so that'd be quite a drive and I work the normal daily grind.  This whole process just seems a bit.. convoluted lol. I just REALLY want to go.

I saw someone on the CSC NE thread say that applying to Tsinghua might mean I won't get scholarship because there are not as many spots.

I wish there were more 2 year programs!!  I know of a few but they're really far south.  I would like to stay north of Shanghai.  Anhui Normal has a 2 year program but I can't find like.. anything about the uni. 

I suppose I can put that as a second choice?  Does the CSC application allow for that?

Why not apply for other schools in Beijing? Tsinghua isn't the only school there. It's hard to get into because it has a good reputation but if you're just looking for a school for language learning you could easily try other places and give yourself a better chance at getting the scholarship. Or maybe other schools in the north?

The CSC application allows you to put 3 choices down.

I did consider RenDa and I wouldn't mind going there but I really want a single room.. and I read in the "RenDa for beginners" post that scholarship students automatically get put in double dorms.  I want at least a CHANCE at getting a single.. If i'm going to be there for 2 years, I really don't want to be cramped like that..1 sem would be fine but 2 years? 

BLCU I did consider as well but I don't think that would be any easier than Tsinghua but I would put that down as a second or third choice.  

I know I an look for apartment I don't think I can afford to live off campus for 2 years unless I know I can work as an English teacher or tutor to make rent.  I do have 1 Tesol cert and I have done an English summer camps in China so I have a recommendation letter from that company I worked for.  So hopefully I can make some extra money if I need to live off campus I just don't want to count on it... rents seem so high!  

I don't need much.. the small single at Tsinghua is actually PERFECT.. and it's pretty much my reason for wanting to go.. very small and private. I like that. I don't want or need a large space.. I just don't want to be cramped with someone else.

Also, the fact that I'm trying for scholarship and 2 rather than 1 year really limit where I can go.  If I don't get the scholarship I'll shoot for Nankai then and only do 1 year but even then I'm not sure I can afford it.. the flights alone are so much. I am not a rich person.. I'm trying to save though.