Chinese-Forums

CSC

liu xia

aah. Good luck then.

I'm currently at BLCU so if you have any questions about it you can ask me. I personally don't think it will be very hard for you to get in. I've only met two other scholarship students from the US. If you wanted to work in WU there are plenty of opportunities. One of my classmates told me about someone looking for speakers to read a textbook and have it recorded at I think the U-center (I forgot). I've also saw a parent wandering around the campus  last week looking for an english tutor for their daughter.

The dorms aren't bad. I'm in a shared dorm and the room is pretty spacious and my roommate is very sweet. if you'd like I can upload pics of my dorm.

OH I would LOVE that.. Please!! You can send them via message if you want.. Or perhaps in the BLCU accomodations thread and I'll look.. other people might be interested in that as well.  I would like to see closet size (again.. two years so I'll need a bit more than a weeks worth of clothes).  Thank youuu.

The closet pic will have to wait. It's a total mess right now, I still want to get a bin or something. My biggest qualm with the closet is that they only have 2 dressers, one for shoes, the other for small things like lingerie and socks. Then there's a place to hang things and just a space under neath. I think if they had some sort of shelf it would be better, I'm going to try and buy something to work it out because right now I just have a pile of clothes in a messy disarray.

post-44533-0-48259500-1410741730_thumb.jpgpost-44533-0-17473300-1410741819_thumb.jpg

All of my winter clothes is still in my suitcase in a space between the desk and the closet.

OOPS! I forgot you said post it in BLCU accommodations D:

Edited by grawrt

Ahhh its ok, I just was thinking other people might want to see haha.

Thank you though!  Yeah it doesn't seem too bad.. I like the hanging space as I hang up most of my clothes (DRESSES av;akldfja;dkfh;)

It doesn't seem too, too terrible (especially if it's free I suppose) It's just.. guuuh 2 YEARSSSS lolol.

This is like my dorm at Penn State, but smaller yet with less closet space and THAT I considered 'minimum' haha but I will probably study a lot in libraries and such anyway, knowing me.  I can't study where I sleep.

Also ShuoShuo, that's great! I'm trying to get someone so hard but no one answers the phone.. I sit on hold until I can't anymore (I work).

I'm seriously considering taking a personal day and driving down there, I'm just concerned I'll get turned away at the door.

It looks the same as I remember it...years back when I visited. You won't think it's bad until you visit other university dorms. Obviously, one can't complain too much as we are on a scholarship and we're lucky to get anything at all. But still...

Truth, I won't be terribly picky if it's free.. but I'm more concerned because i don't know the person I'm living with.  I'm a bit of an introvert and living with someone in 1 small room might be enough to create a monster hahahaha.

If it's a single, I am REALLY not picky because I'll be happy to just live and sleep alone!!  I'll take a glorified closet lololol. I only need a bed, desk, shower, closet and the tiny bathroom.  If anything, I prefer it.  Easier to keep clean.

I have IBS so I'd prefer my own bathroom because I can have finicky digestion.. especially in a new country with different food... lolol  embarrassing truth. but I had a communal bathroom at Penn State so I know what that's like.. I wouldn't be TOO bothered by that.  I'm really just wanting my own bedroom.. I don't mind sharing a bathroom or using a communal big one.  But money reasons might make me just deal with what I can get.  I don't think i'd feel comfortable being off campus right away.. It IS a whole new country.. staying on campus is safe for directionally challenged people like me ahaa

Just wondering if anyone is applying for the Shanghai Government Scholarship.

Apparently it's already accepting applications, I was wondering if anyone has started the process yet. I'm getting ready to apply and trying to figure out if I should apply first to the Uni or first to the scholarship. 

I sent an e-mail to the scholarship people, they said to apply to both at the same time, but they also said that they required a pre-admissions notice. So if I apply to both together how do I get a pre-admissions notice? Do universities even accept applications this early?

I wish these things could be clearer. 

I met someone recently who is a SGS student. She said she applied October/November last year and got her results on May this year. She applied to the school first, and they actually helped her apply for it. I suggest you apply to the school you want first, and let them know your intention on applying for the scholarship.

Here be a question I'm having "fun" trying to answer:

How does one go about getting a pre-admissions letter?  Tsinghua doesn't seem very responsive.. at least from the "visiting" one I was told to email by someone there when I sent the question to the wrong email.

Thanks in advance.

Hey all,

Thanks for the reply Shuo Shuo, I went ahead and called my school (Fudan) and asked since I was tired of not getting replies to E-mails.

According to them you first apply to the school and if you get a pre-admissions notice, then you can apply to the Shanghai Government Scholarship. Different schools have different application times, the person on the phone told me they start accepting applications late November to early December.

DongLian: I'd say call the school to ask when they start accepting. If Qinghua is anything like Fudan, then calling is the way to go. 

That would be a little difficult since i'm in the USA lol.. trying to call anyway.

I already emailed them and they said to go through embassy but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for a pre-admissions letter.  And Tsinghua doesn't accept applications for Fall 2015 until March 15.  I would have LONG since sent in my CSC application stuff by then. ;b

This is so annoying.

I'm trying to get notarized copies of my diploma. It has taken 2 months and still haven't gotten them.

I'm in China and my diploma is at my mom's house in the US, so she is helping me. She goes to a notary. They take my info and contact my university and the university gives the notary copies of the diploma.

Not only will this process cost 500 dollars, the notary is now saying that they have to go to the Chinese consulate in NY to get these notarized or "they won't be recognized by Chinese institutions." Apparently wanting to take these to China is "a big deal".  :roll:

This is insanity. Thank god I decided to get this done early. Has anyone run into this kind of stuff when getting stuff notarized for the scholarship?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking at the 2014 CGS (Chinese Government Scholarship) posts on Chinese-forums and I have decided to throw my hat into the application ring for 2015.

I am pretty set on taking a year off and just studying Mandarin in a Chinese university program for foreigners. I could fund it myself; however, it would be much sweeter to have someone else foot the bill for this (obviously!).

As I am an older gent (early 40s), I am concerned that my age may nix my application. Even though I haven't seen any age requirements, I am wondering if there is a(n un)spoken age limit for the CGS.

I would be applying for a scholarship for a one-year Chinese language program that would begin in September. I have been toying around with the following websites and I have come across several such university programs (from Mudanjiang to Haikou to Kunming!) that are entitled to admit CGS students:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/programsearchen.aspx?academicDegreLevel=&teachingLanguage=&durationOfStudy=&chineseProficiencyRequire=&tuitionFees=&enrollmentDate=&scholarshipTpye=

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/universityen.aspx

As I am currently in China, I plan to just apply to some universities to get pre-admissions notices and mention that I am interested in applying for the CGS. I am currently in Beijing so I could visit a few of these places. I am hoping that may help.

All right, the countdown has begun! So then...until January when the application process will open. Chomping at the bit...to submit!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

洋人丹,

That IS insane! I know that notary services can be pricey, but I didn't expect them to be $500-kinda pricey. Sheesh! Indeed, good that you are doing this now when there is plenty of time; may you find a notary service that is loads cheaper.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Chris

There are age requirements, but they are different for different programs. Here is what it says on the website:

To be eligible, applicants must:

- be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health;
-be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs;
-be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs;
-be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs;
-be under the age of 45 and have completed at least two years of undergraduate study when applying for general scholar programs.

So I think as long as you are under 45 you should be be able to apply for the general scholars program and do some Chinese study. 

I know how you feel though. I want December to come a little faster so I can start applying to the school I want to go to. The idea of waiting to apply, and then waiting even longer for results makes someone like me who always wants to be prepared and on top of things really anxious.

The notary thing get's crazier, but I think it finally got figured out. Apparently there's been a lot of new policies put in place because of forged documents and the like. 
  • Like 1