Chinese-Forums

Duck-like animal called 'tun'?

laohu489

Does anyone know what the character is?

I was on vacation in Jiangxi and came across a chick that looked like a duck. When I called it a duck, I was immediately corrected by the locals who said it was a 'tun2' or 'tun3'. They said it was slightly bigger than a duck and more delicious. Later on I saw an adult tun and it did look slightly different from a duck. It has a white head and a yellowish-brown body.

I can't find any character in any dictionary that could be used as a word for a bird. No one could write it either. Can anyone help me? I am really curious to know more about the animal.

Yeah, that's it exactly. I asked a friend from Jiangxi and she asked yesterday another friend from Hubei and together we discovered it is a 番鸭.

Thanks for your help! Now I just have to find one for dinner sometime soon.

• Like 1

Interesting. 番 as in 番茄? Yes, that would make sense.

I often here new words here when out and about. Know what they mean from the context, but have a hard time working out how they are written. Glad you were able to track this one down.