Chinese-Forums

What makes you feel uncomfortable in China?

Tara Braska

There was a moment in 北京南站, where that voice overlaps itself in a round across several escalators, when I actually thought I was going insane.

please stand please stand firm stand stand firm hold the hold the handrail the handrail please the handrail stand firm please stand hold please handrail the handrail hold hold the handrail

So I'm adding that to my list. At the top.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There was a moment in 北京南站, where that voice overlaps itself in a round across several escalators, when I actually thought I was going insane.

please stand please stand firm stand stand firm hold the hold the handrail the handrail please the handrail stand firm please stand hold please handrail the handrail hold hold the handrail

So I'm adding that to my list. At the top.

Yes, in the metro as well, always a voice to tell you hold the handrail tight.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

aone said

TKS Imron & MPhilips. I've done a search about the etiquette concerning taking the escalator and found this:

乘坐自动扶梯,应靠右侧站立,空出左侧通道,以便有急事的人通行;应主动照顾同行的老人与小孩踏上扶梯,以防跌倒;如须从左侧急行通过时,应向给自己让路的人致谢。

It says, the left side is for persons in a hurry. If one wants exercise, I believe, there is always an option, namely, the stairs.

Yep. Stand on the right, walk on the left. You'll notice that occasionally, at certain escalators in certain stations, a member of staff will stand there yelling at people who block up the left side. I always feel a profound sense of respect and gratitude towards these people.

What I don't understand is why they don't include it in the recorded announcements that automatically play at all escalators in the Beijing subway:

“请您抓好扶手

不要倚靠电梯

注意脚下安全

文明乘坐电梯”

They recorded four lines of instructions (all of which are common sense and don't really need to be mentioned) yet failed to mention the most basic convention of international escalator etiquette. It's no wonder people don't know what it is.

Now, I'm not saying this rule is always followed in other countries, but the holding hands thing just drives me up the wall.

My GOD, am experiencing this everyday!!! Even on the bus!!

车辆启动,请抓好扶手!

请给需要的乘客让个座,谢谢合作!

One thing that makes me very uncomfortable that was not mentioned is people leaning over and looking into my shopping cart or shopping bag at the supermarket. What is creepy is just the weird look on their face like they're seeing bread, juice, etc. for the first time. And how they then don't react to the "I'm uncomfortable" cues you send out when they do this.

That's true, people are really curious about what foreigners buy and eat in China. And even the way they eat.

What I hate the most is people in subway or any public places always hit you when they pass you, but they neeeeeeever say sorry, even don't look at you, hate this.

In the past weren't towns supposed to take get pride if someone got top prize in civil service exams, that kind of thing?   :D

I think so but this thing almost borders on the ridiculous. They wanted people to think highly of them and yet they tried to tie themselves to the husband (husband, were they sure?) of one of their graduates in such a way? Well, well, what can I say, Mayo...

It's more that if Roddy did that, it would look like no actual forum members ever manage to win any prizes for their Chinese. It would make these forums look pathetic, more than if there was no sign up at all. Oxford university would never put up such a sign, because they have too many actual alumni doing great things to leave any room for their spouses. And that is why in my opinion this school looks rather sad in its attempt to overreach. While if they would just announce that one of their students or alumni won some minor award, I'd just think Hey, good for them.

Mayo, Basil:

I apologise if I appeared aggressive or condescending. I didn't mean to. I shall use English rhetorical questions cautiously.

Lu:

Yes, I agree. 

Now thinking about it, these things happen every day. Perhaps I really shouldn't pay much attention to them and be bothered.

Kenny, not sure what you're apologising for: is Basil actually referring to this thread, or is he just referring to something that makes him uncomfortable in China?

Just popping back to the school and the photo: if Beida etc did something like that, it'd look silly. But isn't this just a middle school out in Anhui?

Kenny, not sure what you're apologising for: is Basil actually referring to this thread, or is he just referring to something that makes him uncomfortable in China?

I 對號入座ed...

Just popping back to the school and the photo: if Beida etc did something like that, it'd look silly. But isn't this just a middle school out in Anhui?

I agree that a middle school may make it seem less silly but still I would never do that if I were the principal.

• 3 weeks later...
Staff cutting grass with scissors. If you're going to make someone do a job, give them proper tools 

:D

This topic could grown huge!

Actually, Beijing has some real idiot foreigners. It doesn't surprise me that several Chinese have said that they think foreigners are total kn#bs (not those exact words). 

Ahh the shoving, the spitting, the pointing, the staring .... 每天都一样 

• 8 months later...

well,well ,well

ppl in china are always curios about what I eat what I buy what I do what I like

how old am I , how much money I make ,would I like to marry a chinese , where I am going this afternoon

and the most unbelievable thing is that every time when I walk down a street,they just can't take their eyes off me!

and this is killing me , I hate the feeling that everyone is staring at me !

well, this just based on a trip in Shanghai.