Chinese-Forums

Artists, Illustrators or Animators in Harbin?

EmilyP

Hi! I'm moving to Harbin from the UK in November to teach at a school. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the city who is interested in illustration, animation, or any other aspect of art generally who's like to meet up? I studied illustration at uni and have spent the past few years working in animation and educational fields, and am looking to continue working on my portfolio whilst working in China. I wondered if there are any other like minded people who enjoy sketching, doing photography etc, who may like to meet up occasionally to share the 'creativity' and maybe do some on-site drawing at different places etc. or even grab a coffee to discuss things, maybe crit each other's work (find it so helpful to have another eye/opinion on my work!)

Alternatively if anyone knows of any good events, clubs, workshops etc that take place along the lines of these topics I'd love to hear! Any nationalities welcome to get in touch!

Best,

Emily

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey,

nah iam not from Harbin and just live since a few months here. Iam actually from Germany and came as a exchange student a few years ago to guangdong and decided to stay ( love story) 

I was for a quit long time into digital art and made a lot different PS and AI Illustration however moved now since a half year totally to Branding and Packaging.

Yeah i do have a portfolio but this site here dont allow me to post links...

Its yoru first time in china? 

but this site here dont allow me to post links...

Links in first posts are generally treated with suspicion and are either removed or the whole post just gets deleted (depending on rest of the content).  Requests to talk offsite are also looked down upon (why not continue the discussion here for everyone to benefit).  Also, no need to make multiple repeat posts (which I've also deleted), new users are placed in a moderation queue and have to wait until their posts are approved.

Shame about the link not working, but that's ok. Yeah it's my first time in China, loving it so far! Just getting used to everything - I need to learn to cook properly here! 

That sounds great, where in Harbin are you? And when do you want to go to the UK? Are you hoping to work in Branding and Packaging there?

Wow. How it comes that you chosen harbin? I mean in deep winter its getting really freaking cold. Nah if its about cooking chinese food that it seems for me far more easy then western food. 

I live momentary quit in the center. 

it gonna be probably London. Yeah i mean i wish i will be able to get directly a full time job there. I heard from very experienced friends thats its pretty hard there and people with 0 work experience in the UK all time got to start with an internship?...

Feels like iam working 24h 7 days to get a perfect portfolio... 

Youre teaching art or design here? 

Yeah it's very hard to secure a job with a good wage in the Art and Design industry in the UK at the moment, you usually have to work unpaid/for free for at least a year before getting some work, and even then it might only be a short contract. 

For instance - I graduated from a good University in the UK with a 1st Class BA(Hons) in Illustration and Animation, and have worked in the industry on and off since 2012, a lot for free, sometimes paid, but have had no luck in securing a full-time job, it's very very hard. 

For me, I've come to Harbin to teach English and save money so that I can go back to study 3D animation (Maya etc.) as there are slightly more jobs for those skills, and so hopefully will increase my chances. I would love to teach art here though! 

What are you doing for work? 

Yeah. So I hope with my then 5 years professional experience and a top folio that it gonna change.

Phuu yeah 3D and illustration is now also something iam trying out as its really good to combine with branding and packaging to create really something outstanding. Maybe you could teach me some tricks :P

I was working a year in Guangzhou for trolli. They're producing gummy candy. You may not know them from there name but if you google them you will directly recognize them.

Then a year freelance and started since Monday now as an ad in a design agency here in harbin.

As I know there are quit many design schools in china which are looking for foreign teacher. However i can just recommend some in guangdong as I don't know any in harbin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...