Chinese-Forums

is it bad to write pinyin first and then hanzi?

grawrt

Not that strange actually. We only spent like our first 21 years at schools (of course not everyone is the same, and many schools in HK were not Chinese-language schools) yet most of us have been in this line of work longer than that.

If a foreigner takes notes in his native language when listening to and conversing in Chinese, I think it shows that person is strong in comprehension and capable of translating what he hears and speaks into his native language instantly.

I am not sure how someone writing in English when listening to English has to do with his Chinese level.

As someone who has gone through "Chinese school" outside of China, as in the type that convenes on weekends for inordinate amounts of time, I find it odd that someone would judge a person's Chinese level based on their own personal choices in their own personal note-taking. I don't think "Oh that person must not know how to write 煞笔" (deliberate) because they write SB instead. Often when I'm taking notes on English material I insert Chinese if it is faster or the way to represent an idea is more straightforward, or insert random symbols.

I am not sure how someone writing in English when listening to English has to do with his Chinese level.

My bad, I meant Chinese. Must have typed too fast. I amended my post.

It takes the brain time to adhere Chinese characters directly to speech and vice versa, but once that adhesive takes hold it's stronger than concrete.

Yesterday I mentioned how difficult it was to have a toneless pinyin conversation with a friend, but it's even more than that. When I'm writing on paper and I forget how to write a word in a sentence, I can't write the pinyin without a struggle. It feels like making sandwiches with my feet. The only way I can proceed is to look up the word in a dictionary app, which requires typing the pinyin. I can't even begin to explain that contradiction, but it's there.

The same applies to speed writing. Pinyin takes me longer than writing even 17-stroke characters because I need to transplant myself mentally out of Chinese. When I'm writing down a Chinese word for a friend, I need to write the characters before the pinyin; usually they're all "mate what are you doing I can't read Chinese" and I have to explain what I've just done.

@grawrt: This is what you've got to look forward to. I hope that in five years' time you'll look back on this thread with fond nostalgia.

The only way I can proceed is to look up the word in a dictionary app, which requires typing the pinyin. I can't even begin to explain that contradiction, but it's there.

Consider using an E-C dictionary app so you can input the English word to get the Chinese term. It might help.