Chinese-Forums

prizes, prizes, prizes! (obscure word of the month competition)

trevelyan

After deep deliberation and a few beers with Roddy, it gives me great pleasure to formally announce Adso's first "obscure word of the month" competition. This prize-laden contest will be won by the Chinese-learning superstar who -- by months end -- has fended off the stiff competition from the laowai community and successfully added the most obscure yet technically correct Chinese word to the Adso database.

Attention translators working on monographs on Chinese Zinc standards: this contest is for you!

The prize up for grabs this month is a VCD of Richie Jen's greatest hits, chock full of smash hits. Put this puppy on heavy rotation in your DVD player and in no time you too will begin to enjoy it and begin subjecting others to it. The prize will be gladly mailed to overseas winners, while anyone in Beijing can sub it for a healthy 12-pack of the traditional Chinese Yanjing medicinal brew.

Entering is as easy as submitting content using the Quick Add form. Just remember to mark your name in the Contributor box. I'll pick out the most obscure entries when updating the database at the end of month, and Adso users will vote for the winner. If you have a specific entry you want everyone to vote on, post it below. In the interests of setting the bar high, I'm going to make my own contribution now -- the name of the new Prime Minister of Samoa:

图伊拉埃帕·萨伊莱莱·马利埃莱额奥伊

Tuila’epa Sailele Malielegaoi

And if I win, you all get nothing.... Nothing!

• 1 month later...

索沃耶利里坡那罗讷特罗里莫哭卡斯特罗。

Suo wo ye li li po na luo ne te luo li mo ku ka si te luo.

A transliteration in Hanzi and Pinyin of the Toki Pona word soweli li pona lon telo li moku kasi telo meaning Manatee

Greetings from Dennis