Chinese-Forums

Directory or list of schools in China that hire foreign teachers?

Abe

I’m in the process of applying to ESL jobs in China.  I’d prefer to contact schools directly rather than go through a recruiter or agency, and I am looking for jobs in a few specific places.  Is there a directory or list of schools that hire foreigners somewhere online? 

I am aware of wikipedia’s lists, but I haven’t found another useful list or directory so far. Any help would be appreciated.  I’ll post anything useful that I find for others who are interested.

It would be a hell of a long list, if it existed. It doesn't.

Almost every school wants to hire foreign teachers - most illegally.

It might be useful if you said which locations you are interested in.

It also depends on what type of school you are looking for. If it's a private language school then you could just look at the larger companies and apply directly to them. Also, foreign owned or run companies often advertise directly OR have a website that shows up in search results if you look hard enough.

I am a little surprised you think there would ever be a list of ALL the schools in China with the size of this country!! It would be a pretty big task for the author of that list!

Thanks for your replies, Liuzhou and ChTTay.  To clarify, I wasn't looking for a COMPLETE list of schools, I just wanted to know if there were directories out there that listed a substantial number of schools.  So far I have found only one which lists 100 or so universities and schools, but I am sure that is only a fraction of what is out there.

When I said I was looking in a few specific places, I meant I am looking for a smaller city in a less-polluted and less populated area.  Most of the jobs I see are in major cities or on the east coast.  I would prefer to work in a small city in Yunnan or Inner Mongolia, or another similar place.  I'm not picky about exactly what type of employer, but I need a decent salary and a reasonable schedule.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

And you're also assuming that the info is in any way up to date (wonder what rate English schools in China fail at...), that they're actually hiring, licensed to employ foreigners, that you get through to someone who speaks English, and...

Anyway, what would I actually recommend...

I'd look for job ads in your chosen locations - not necessarily current ones, look for old ones too. Those schools may still be there. Look also for reviews of schools by teachers. Post here and elsewhere naming the specific cities you're interested in. If you want a university job then it should be fairly easy to put together a reasonably complete list. Private schools are a different kettle of fish, I'm not sure you could do that without pounding the pavements.