Chinese-Forums

Ten-Year Visas for Americans

I don't really see the benefits of a 60days 10 year Visa over the usual 90 days 1-2 year Visas issued.

I felt the same way. Would have been happy with another one-year, multiple-entry, 90-day-stay tourist visa.

But they weren't available except maybe by jumping through additional hoops. The system now seems to be that, want it or not, the 10-year model with 60-days each entry is what you will get unless you are new to China.

@Simon -- Do you have a Chinese wife? Or did you provide any other special information to the authorities at the time of application?

One of those would have been perfect for me since I need to go back to the States every year or two to check on my house, take care of business and see family, visit with old friends and such.

No Chinese wife, but I am Swiss, not American, and I believe the Visa rules differ somewhat between countries. We have recently been informed that there is now a possibility of getting a 2 year Visa, so I indicated as much on the form and explicitly stated what type of Visa I need on my invitation letter. From what I gather most people are not aware of that possibility here in Switzerland, and do not apply for it.

I think there's a great degree of flexibility in that regard for the embassy/consulate staff.  

• Like 1

Anyone have any idea if the 10 years has been extended to residence visa's for work permits?  The residence visa's for work permits have been one year only in the past (no limit on the # of days allowed to stay in China).  I'm hoping they open these ones up to 10 years also, but have not been able to get solid info if this is only for business travel or long term people living and working in China with work permits and residence visa's.

I haven't seen anything that suggests there's a ten-year residence visa under the new policy; ten-year visas are for visitors on L, M, S2 and Q2 visas who hold American passports.

As to getting a longer stay than 60 days, there are statements on some agency sites in the U.S. that suggest you can ask for a longer stay in return for a one- or two-year visa. Search around and contact one of these agencies for details. 

• 5 years later...

The US will no longer be giving ten-year visas to members of the Chinese Communist Party and their immediate family. They will now be eligible only for one-month single-entry visas. Not clear if this also affects existing visas.

Not encouraging news for Americans who have been enjoying those ten-year visas.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/trump-administration-issues-travel-curbs-for-chinese-communist-party-members-report.amp?espv=1

• Like 1

With luck Biden might reverse it — it's a patently ridiculous policy given the prevalence of party membership. It's not like being a member means you're part of some tight-knit inner circle. It doesn't even necessarily signal ideological alignment — lots of folks only renew their membership so they don't lose out on the career/social benefits that come along with it.

• Like 2