Chinese-Forums

Air Quality In China

HCCB

There are better quality masks that don't get so warm/hot.

I use one of those widely available 3M brand masks (white, disposable) and don't find it heats up much at all. It's the one with the plastic filter built into it. It's a lot easier to breath with that filter than just breathing through the material alone (like other versions of their masks). It also does not heat up as much.

I recommend you try those ones. Try www.myhealthbeijing.com for a good run down of masks and air purifiers.

Thanks for that imron. Unfortunately due to project time constraints I have actually had to call it a day on collecting survey replies. I have an ok sized sample so it should be alright. When I've sorted the results out I will post up my findings.

Angelina, 

Here is a link to the report, it may be of interest or it also may not ha : http://www.pimchina.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/China-Home-Air-Purifiers-Market-PIM-201404.pdf

Thanks,

I actually found it pretty informative.

My question got answered:

Meanwhile, China is the biggest air purifier producer for the global market. Exports were 9.32 million air purifiers with a value of 482 million USD in 2012 , mainly to Japan, Korea and North America 

9.32 million air purifiers exported. An industrial revolution. No comment.

Since you are British, can I ask you how did British people survive the Industrial Revolution?

how did British people survive the Industrial Revolution?

By dying young.

On the other hand, the industrial revolution was associated with rising incomes and advances in public health, which would have increased lifespans.

I think it would be hard to compare Britain circa 1800 with China circa 2014 given sanitation is much better in China, health care is much better, and the pollutants people are exposed to are different.

sorry this is a dumb question. Do air purifiers make the air less hot/stuffy in the room too?

On days when the pollution is bad the room is hot and stuffy and my roommate always opens the window, even though pollution levels are upwards of 400. I wouldn't mind splurging on an air purifier if it gives my roommate a reason not to open the window.

Not a dumb question grawrt, but air purifiers dry out the air, not humidify it, and humidity generally makes a room feel slightly hotter, but also more comfortable than a very dry hot room.

So many people combine a humidifer and an air filter during winter to have a good room climate.

Oh and your roommate is right about opening the windows from time to time, especially if you don't have an air filter yet, because indoor air pollution is often worse than outdoor pollution, as the particles accumulate over time. Opening the window at AQI 400 might not be terrific idea though... but generally opening the window for a while is a good idea.

"because indoor air pollution is often worse than outdoor pollution, as the particles accumulate over time."

I've not heard that before. What's the source of this?

I have read on the "my health Beijing" blog that indoor pollution can be between 60-80% of outdoor pollution. A lot of people don't realize that and think being inside magically makes everything better. It was one factor behind my deciding to purchase some purifiers

I have read on the "my health Beijing" blog that indoor pollution can be between 60-80% of outdoor pollution. A lot of people don't realize that and think being inside magically makes everything better.

That's actually usually the advice I read/heard on bad pollution days: stay indoors! I always wondered how that was supposed to help, because surely the air indoors comes from outside.

"because indoor air pollution is often worse than outdoor pollution, as the particles accumulate over time."

I've not heard that before. What's the source of this?

I have read on the "my health Beijing" blog that indoor pollution can be between 60-80% of outdoor pollution. A lot of people don't realize that and think being inside magically makes everything better. It was one factor behind my deciding to purchase some purifiers

Unless there is a mechanism to clean your indoor air it cannot dissipate and will make indoor air quality worse over time if not ventilated.

Some lazy googling on my part:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/household-safety/tips/indoor-air-pollution.htm

Ironically, indoor air is often as bad as or worse than outdoor air.  This is because today’s homes are built to be highly efficient, tightly sealed envelopes that continuously circulate the same air.  Without proper ventilation and filtration, pollutants build up in the air that we breathe.

At the same time, there are sources of indoor air pollution unique to China.  The prevalence of new buildings and furnishings, high use of particle board, and lower awareness of healthy construction makes formaldehyde and other VOCs a significant issue.  While the US has passed a domestic bill regulating the amount of formaldehyde emissions in composite wood products, there is no similar regulation for Chinese products.  In addition, homes here have the same pollution sources as they do elsewhere: household cleaning agents, mold, cooking, dust mites, pet dander, just to name a few.  Together, this leads to a level of indoor air quality that poses an unacceptable level of risk to our health as well as our comfort.

http://www.purelivingchina.com/learning-center/indoor-air-quality/

But according to this source, PM2.5 alone is about 75% of outdoor levels, though many other pollutants have a much higher concentration than outdoor air:

http://www.gigabase.org/en/glossaries/1

• 3 months later...

...wear a mask then? get an air purifier too... mine helps a lot.

Personally, I don't really notice it unless it's getting to 300+. I've never felt like i've been smoking when i've had to walk around on a high pollution day but forgot a mask or pre-mask days. If i've been smoking on a night out, the day after is a lot worse than anything i've experience through pollution.

Err it seems you are out of touch somewhat. A good pollution mask will definitely protect you against particles. I am not talking about a surgical mask.

Check out articles on myhealthbeijing for some "science" , here's an example of the Doctors run down on a few masks;

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/china-public-health/air-pollution-masks-a-review-of-the-best/

• Like 1