Chinese-Forums

How to prevent Chinese websites always opening in new browser tab

歐博思

Yep, this is a pain in the ass (it's not quite as obnoxious as opening a new browser window, but it's close, unless there's a good reason to open a new tab). I don't know of any browser add-ons etc. that can prevent this, though I'd be interested to know if any exist...

Chinese web design preference

I'm not sure it is a preference. Most of my Chinese friends find it just as annoying and pointless. I put it down to programming ignorance.

I thought that was a function of the browser not the website.

No. It is fully under the control of the website authors. Difficult, if not impossible, to override. 

this is very obnoxious habit specifically of Chinese websites. it is basically caused by HTML `<a ... target="_blank">` and should entirely be overridable by a Firefox extension or somesuch. there's a good explanation here: http://www.sundoginteractive.com/sunblog/posts/target-blank-is-holding-your-users-hostage

i tried this and it does seem to work: in Firefox, open a new tab and type in `about:config` as address, then type `browser.link` and change the settng from `3` to `1`.

• Like 1

External websites is one thing. It's when it opens another site on the very same website in a new tab for no good reason that it's annoying.

Edit: @flow: I love you forever. Perfect, now I only ever have to open a new tab when I want to (and opening a link in a new tab still works just fine with ctrl+click).

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, RogerGe said:

Is there any way to do this for other browsers?

On 12/2/2014 at 7:25 AM, liuzhou said:

No. It is fully under the control of the website authors. Difficult, if not impossible, to override. 

Fortunately,  its just a matter of what @flow mentioned above. You can add the Chrome Extension (if you use Google Chrome) "Death To _blank" and it will prevent it. On the left click function the _blank will be removed. Other similar extensions but that one seems fine to me

Chinese website design seem to be: more clutter on your desktop the better. The didn't really go with the Google and Apple minimalist approach