Chinese-Forums

Changing employer/job at the end of a contract

Anou

I'm going to finish a 1-year contract at the start of February and I'm offered another job by a different school which will start at the end of February. 

I am wondering what is the process for switching employers/jobs?  What documents do I need from my old employer?  Will I have to leave the country again to apply for a new Z-visa?

Please help! Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.

I have another concern regarding the switch.  If I finish my current contract early February, and I want to leave China until the start of my new job in late February, will I have issues entering China?  I heard something about former employer having to terminate work permit/residence permit and switch it to a 30 day exit-only visa at the end of a contract.  What should I do in this case?

I heard something about former employer having to terminate work permit/residence permit and switch it to a 30 day exit-only visa at the end of a contract

Terminating a RP and 'switching it' to a new job/employer are different things I think.

I assume you'd need to apply to switch your residence permit before it expired and, again, I assume it expires roughly about the time your current contract ends. If this is the case, you should have your residence permit back and linked to the new job fairly soon after your current job ends. This would allow you to leave China and enter as normal on a residence permit.

Alternatively, if the PSB keep your passport for a while after your job finished, you won't be able to leave anyway until they give it back with the new RP.

BTW, when will your residence permit for work (work visa) expire?

You'd better extend the work visa with the new employer before it expires.

It will be much easier than the application from the first beginning.

The release letter issued by the current employer is required.

For more information, please refer to http://www.cn-visa.com/beijing_work_visa_renewal.asp

My residence permit doesn't expire until June.  I would have no problem re-entering China, but this residence permit for work is attached to my current employer.  If I finish my contract and my employer cancels the work permit before I leave China on a vacation, I worry I will have problems re-entering China with the assumption that the cancellation of the work permit would automatically change my residence permit to a 30-day exit visa. 

Thanks guys for your responses!

I would be more worried that if you left the country, then your employer cancelled your work permit ... that you wouldn't be allowed back in. You may have to go and get yourself a tourist visa just to come back and sort out your affairs.

I would arrange everything with your new employer BEFORE you leave China. Why leave with everything up in the air?

• 1 month later...

In order to successful switch over my residence permit to new employer, do I need to do it before my residence permit is switched to a 30-day exit visa?  If my old employer cancels my work and res permit (and switches it to a 30 day exit only visa), do I have to go through the whole work visa application process again (i.e. trip to HK)?