Chinese-Forums

Are there any good language schools in Beijing that offer one-on-one lessons?

MilesM

I'm planning to come to China for a year to study Mandarin. I used to live in Shanghai but now I want to study in Beijing. I've found several language schools that offer one-on-one instruction, but they are in Guilin, Kunming, Harbin, etc. The main reputable places I can find in Beijing are either universities or language schools that only have group classes. I can't really hire a private tutor because I'm going on a scholarship so I have to provide the scholarship organization with a legitimate university or language school so that they don't think I'm wasting their money.

Thanks for the help! :)

Isn't this the forth thread you've posted about trying to find a place to study? I think you just need to sit down now and make a decision for yourself.

Hows your search going? I seem to recall you asking about Beijing Universities before and a very popular suggestion was IUP. Did you look at IUP? This has group and 1 on1 classes built into the course. Group classes are only 3 students as well. Did you check if your scholarship will cover it?  If it will, why not go there? If it won't, what about other Beijing Universities (BLCU, Tsinghua, PKU, BNU, Mingzu)?

As for private language schools that provide 1on1 classes... I'm pretty sure they all do. Thats Mandarin, LTL, etc. Even the tiny training schools round my area have 1on1 classes available if anyone wants them.

• Like 1

My one (BICC) does it too. I'd imagine most do it. BICC has only 1 to 4 in their class at all levels these days

Mine has 3, other has 2, other one has 1

School is no where near as important as the teacher in my view. Other advantage is that 1:1 is better if you don't wish to stick to a set syllabus. Cost is naturally a factor. I'd rate 1:1 to be worth 2 times more efficient than even a small group class.

We spend a little too long procrastinating or going off in tangents if I'm honest.  

[edit: I should add, 'a teaching style that works for you'. Often its not a reflection of the quality of the teacher. This applies to all subjects, not just Chinese naturally. I like rigour and definitive grammar discussion. My class mate is naturally better at languages and speaks several, she seems to prefers more natural flow. Teacher has to balance this along with her own teaching style]

Thanks for the info, guys. I have looked at IUP and I would love to attend, but unfortunately they require that one already be at like an intermediate or high intermediate level of Chinese, which I am not. :(

I've found a couple of Beijing schools that I am interested in. One is 1on1 Mandarin and the other is the Hutong School. Does anyone have an opinion on either of these?