Chinese-Forums

The Chairman's Bao

thechairmansbao

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave, we have an app coming out in around 8 weeks and from that articles will update when an internet connection is present and then be available for use offline. Do you usually access on mobile?

I will have a word with the web developer and see if there is a way we can make the audios available for download.

Thanks for your support! 

I would say that being able to use this app - with the audio and articles included - offline would be great. I wouldn't personally see a need to download the audio separately from that. I wouldn't want to be sat listening and having my data allowence decimated though!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
TheChairmansBaoTeam

Hey Stelingo,

The iPhone app is currently with Apple now undergoing review. Once accepted by Apple, please update your app and it should be all good. Unfortunately, Apple have been a bit of a nightmare recently with us and their guidelines hence the delay - this has inadvertently caused our apps to not be fully in sync with the site and is subsequently causing the problems you are facing. We sincerely hope Apple accepts the update currently in review and this issue is solved within a few days. Very sorry about this though! 

TheChairmansBaoTeam

Ah right ok. Would you mind please explaining at what point the app crashes please? Also, are you running the most up-to-date version of the app from Google Play? 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times. Tha app crashes when I select an article and try to open it. I've noticed that the articles which are displayed are from mid May. No matter how many times I refresh the page or reinstall the app the most recent articles do not appear. Yes, I'm using Google play.

I see this is now a subscription service. It is a useful APP but not sure whether I'm going to subscribe or not. I haven't decided. Anyone else made the decision to subscribe/pay or not to do so? Thoughts?

Definitely not subscribing. 10 dollars a month is too expensive.

I always used TCB just for their texts. I never cared about the grammar help, vocab lists, voice over and online dictionary. I was hoping that as a registered non-subscriber, I would at least still be able to access the texts, and that all the extra stuff will be subscription only. But sadly, they blocked the whole service now, even if you are registered and only have access to a couple of sample texts.

So for me, as a registered non-subscriber, their whole website is completely useless now. So it is either pay or nothing, just registering is useless. Really unfortunate decision. Looks like I can delete the app and my browser bookmark...

I have no idea of the economics of it, but I'd be dubious about providing any daily service where people pay less than $.10 a day (and that's before tax and payment processing and...) One support request a year and you're a net loss. I might be inclined to focus on people willing to pay a little more. 

What would you pay, ChTTay? And what does that work out per hour used?

• Like 1

TheChairmansBaoTeam

Hi Guys, 

Stelingo - I'm looking into the app crash issue for you now. Would you mind please screenshotting your screen for me and sending an image of your news feed to mattcarter@thechairmansbao.com please? I'm confused by only May articles showing. Please also send me your exact device details which will help me look into this. Thanks and sorry! 

Dear Tiantian - I'm sorry you feel this way. However, in order for us to produce 80-100 news lessons per month and over 1000 / year, unfortunately these are the sorts of prices we have to set. As someone who only uses the texts, you may not realise how much 'other stuff goes into each and every text - Audios, grammar points, carefully selected keywords, idiomatic phrases, not even to mention the time taken and difficulty in producing each news lesson as specified HSK graded levels. $10 / month (Our most expensive package) equates to roughly 0.1$ per text which we deem as more than reasonable. 

Any questions, please let me know. 

Thanks, 

Matt