Chinese-Forums

The Chairman's Bao

thechairmansbao

I make that $5.66 a month on a 12 month sub, folks. 

It's actually interesting you've started with the higher level stuff and worked down. I see it makes sense for your content, but so many similar services start out with the most basic stuff as that's where most students are (and often stay). It's perhaps the case there's now an adequate cohort of intermediate and above students to make that viable. 

Hey TCB, I am running IOS on an Iphone 6, I am located in mainland China, but it crashes both with and without VPN. When I open the app it gets stuck on the opening page with the 'loading' popup and spinning circle, it then crashes and returns me to my homescreen.

Hi Zander,

Ok thanks for the info. The apps do it respond well with little or no connection unfortunately. This something we are working on, including mirroring the servers to Asia which we hope speeds up loading times in China. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Awesome to hear you are adding servers in Asia to speed up loading times in China! This is great news.

*edit* I am also having trouble accessing the site. It seems to have been hugged to death.

Hello all, We have just realised this is not an issue related to China after all. We are looking into this now though. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Update: Crashing issue looks like it is resolved. Please let us know if it is all okay with you. 

Thanks, 

Team TCB

They're both similar in that they're readers with news articles at different HSK levels. Pop-up definitions/pinyin are available when clicking on each character.

Decipher Chinese has a slick interface, can underline groups of characters to indicate which are words, and color the underlines to show the HSK level of each word. When tapped upon, it also displays Pinyin above the character. It has built-in flaschards which you can add words to. You can also hear each sentence with TTS (Text To Speech). And it includes discussion comments for each article.

Chairman's Bao releases more articles, has a vocab list (which is more precise than the CCEDICT popup that both apps seem to be using), and grammar points for constructs found in the article. It also has an audio recording of a native speaker reading the text.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Have been using TCB for a while now and am pretty happy with it, just some thoughts:

1. The website is AMAZINGLY slow: Honestly you really need to sort out whatever server problem you are having. Currently it is the slowest website I use, bar none. Often I am streaming in full HD video in one tab while TCB is struggling to open up a page! I cannot stress enough how annoying this is.

2. Linked to the above problem: Is there any way you could index your articles with numbered pages (rather than the 'more...' you have at the moment), because loading down to old articles takes forever. It would be nice to be able to skip foward easily rather than loading all the previous articles.

The content is fantastic, but these problems are quite annoying!

• Like 1

TheChairmansBaoTeam

Dear Zander, 

Thanks for getting in touch and we are sorry about this issue. We are aware of this an as a result, an rebuild of the entire platform is well underway. Elements of this will be BETA testable over the coming weeks, with the much new and improved Word Bank and Learning Platform coming first early next week we hope (Screenshot attached). The new site and new apps will follow soon after this, probably within 1 month or so. 

Sorry for this inconvenience, all will be sped up soon :) 

Thanks Zander, 

Team TCB

TCB Word Bank 2017 - 2.png

TCB Word Bank 2017.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just to comment that these problems have not been resolved. The website is still exceptionally slow, often so slow that the popup dictionary doesn't work as it doesn't load properly. The content is still great but the website is truly awful.

Is the website down? could be my internet but the website isnt loading for me?

This is the error message i recieve

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@domain.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.