Chinese-Forums

How to post Chinese characters on ezboard

music2starr

try posting chinese on thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
Now that you have mentioned it, whatever Chinese I posted there became gibberish. Reason?

I've noticed that the default encoding setting of lonelyplanet is Unicode UTF-8 (NOT Western)

So, a gamble (haven't try it):

1. Save your Chinese characters in Unicode UTF-8

2. change the encoding setting (of lonelyplanet) into WESTERN

3. paste the Chinese characters

I sincerely hope it would show the characters correctly in BOTH settings :mrgreen:

I think the characters became gibberish because the browser jumped between encodings.

If one paste the characters when the encoding is UNICODE, it becomes gibberish when the encoding jumps into WESTERN.

But if we paste the characters when the encoding is WESTERN, jumping into both settings will still show the characters correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
If I save my Chinese characters in Unicode UTF-8 and then paste it in a board with default Western encoding (like spcnet.tv) it would show the Chinese characters correctly even without the reader having to change the default encoding (the encoding is still Western).

Horas, I’m not sure what you mean here. How do you save the characters in a particular encoding then paste it onto a board?

By the way, I found the example I was talking about… This board has a default setting of Western characters, but see how this poster (“citizen 210”) has managed to post Chinese characters: http://p088.ezboard.com/fponderersguildfrm18.showMessageRange?topicID=2724.topic&start=41&stop=60

• 3 weeks later...

Good news folks!

I've found an alternative and infallible solution to the problem here.

The characters should be converted first into their html codes and then the codes are c&p to the forum.

Any change in the encoding setting (later) wouldn't change the characters :mrgreen:

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

choose: Chinese Tools

• 2 months later...

Horas, I just tried your new-found solution and it didn't work for me. I don't know what I've done wrong.

Also, can you explain to me how to do this step by step:

If I save my Chinese characters in Unicode UTF-8 and then paste it in a board with default Western encoding (like spcnet.tv) it would show the Chinese characters correctly even without the reader having to change the default encoding (the encoding is still Western).

Thank you for your time.