Chinese-Forums

Pronunciation of 21st century years

Skyelar

In English, we read most 4-digit years in groups of two digits: 1989 is read as "nineteen eighty-nine", 1850 is read as "eighteen fifty", and 1492 is read as "fourteen ninety-two". However, we read the years differently when the last two digits are zeroes: 1500 is "fifteen hundred", 1900 is "nineteen hundred", and 1200 is "twelve hundred". Additionally, a year in the twenty-first century is read as a normal number: 2000 is "two thousand", 2006 is "two thousand six", and 2014 is "two thousand fourteen". The same applies to years with three digits. I cannot recall hearing anyone say the name of an eleventh century year aloud, but I would presume that they would be read similarly, with 1014 being read as "one thousand fourteen".

In Mandarin, are there similar exceptions? My understanding is that years are normally read by the digit, so that 1989年 is read as "一九八九年", 1850年 is read as "一八五零年", and 1492年 is read as "一四九二年". But is 2000年 read as "二零零零年" or "二千年"?

Actually, in Britain the years in the eleventh century are, I believe, commonly pronounced like years in the twentieth century "1066" = "ten sixty six." My only example is, however, my only clear memory of anyone referring to a year in the eleventh century, it's the year the Normans invaded so it's quite important. I believe other years in that century follow the same pattern.

(sorry, a bit off topic but I just thought it might be of interest :mrgreen: )

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I have heard people pronouncing years like 2014 as "twenty fourteen", but 21st century years before 2010 are always read as ordinary numbers, e.g. "two thousand four".

But why is it 两千年 and not 二千年? I know that the usage of 二 and 两 varies between dialects, but I thought that the Standard Chinese distinction was that 两 is used only in the number 2 itself (i.e. not 12 or 200) and only when referring to a quantity of something (e.g. two apples = 两个苹果), while 二 is used as part of a larger number (like 12 or 200) and when referring to the actual number two and not two of something (e.g. when just counting (but not when counting objects) or in math problems like 2+2=4). So, by these rules, wouldn't 2000 be 二千 and not 两千?

For the years between 2000 and 2010, 二零零X年 is the most common way to say them in daily speech. But 两千零X年 is also found in some more formal/official situations like on TV.

For the numbers, 2000 and above are more likely to be said using 两, 20 and 2 are more likely 二 and 200 seems to be in both 两 and 二, which is very interesting.

But why is it 两千年 and not 二千年? I know that the usage of 二 and 两 varies between dialects, but I thought that the Standard Chinese distinction was that 两 is used only in the number 2 itself (i.e. not 12 or 200) and only when referring to a quantity of something (e.g. two apples = 两个苹果), while 二 is used as part of a larger number (like 12 or 200) and when referring to the actual number two and not two of something (e.g. when just counting (but not when counting objects) or in math problems like 2+2=4). So, by these rules, wouldn't 2000 be 二千 and not 两千?

现代汉语规范词典 to the rescue once more:

在多位数中,百位、十位、个位用“二”,千位以上多用“两”,但首位以后的百、千、万前多用“二”,如“二百二十二”、“两千元”、“两万块”、“两亿人口”、“三万二千二百人”。

Translation: In multiple-digit numbers, hundreds, tens and units use “二”, thousands and above usually use “两”, but after the first place hundreds, thousands and ten-thousands usually use “二”, for example “二百二十二” (222), “两千元” (¥2,000), “两万块” (20,000 kuai), “两亿人口” (200 million residents), “三万二千二百人” (32,200 people).

I believe “两百” is also acceptable for 200, but perhaps less commonly used.

For the year 2,000, both “二零零零年” and “两千年” are acceptable. I assume other millennial years could also follow this pattern, although they tend to get mentioned less for obvious reasons. All other years are simply “XXXX年”, read out digit by digit.

As for English, I'd feel equally at ease saying “twenty-twenty” or “two thousand and twenty” for the year 2020. Actually, I'd somewhat prefer the former to the latter because it's less 啰唆. I guess Americans say “two thousand twenty”, which is not quite so bad.

OK, I understand now.

As for English, I'd feel equally at ease saying “twenty-twenty” or “two thousand and twenty” for the year 2020. Actually, I'd somewhat prefer the former to the latter because it's less 啰唆. I guess Americans say “two thousand twenty”, which is not quite so bad.

As an American (from Ohio), people usually leaves out the "and", but not always. I do sometimes hear people say "twenty fourteen" for 2014, but I personally prefer "two thousand fourteen", mainly because that's what I'm used to.