Chinese-Forums

Poems in Chinese Movies

TobiGer

Hey Everybody,

I am new in the community so I guess it is a "Hey Everyone!" first.

I've lived many years in China and currently doing a Master's degree in Chinese studies. At the moment I am doing some research into Poetry in Chinese movies. Seems there hasn't been much on it.

CCTV is in the process of making 108 short movies out of Tang Poems, but they aren't done yet. I've been looking around and I have only found a bit of poetry in movies. (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hqcj/xfly/2014-10-18/content_12549034.html)

In  House of flying daggers (十面埋伏) is that song which basically is a poem written 80 BC and turned into a Song. Another one is in 落葉歸根 aka Getting Home, but it is not really a classical one.

In life on a string (边走边唱) is a scene where the actor is getting close to poetry.

Now, it doesn't have to be any Tang poetry, but did anyone come across Chinese movies which have poetry in it? For any help I'd be grateful. Thanks

• 9 months later...

Sorry about the very slow reply, I hope you or others are still interested. Aside from what you mention I can think of a couple of other things:

铜雀台 / The assassins (2012) has a very old poem in it called 蒹葭 from 诗经.. it is also turned into a song. you can watch the film here, the poem is sung from about 98 minutes but watching from this point will spoil the film. http://www.letv.com/ptv/vplay/1871577.html 

Also, if I remember correctly, Red Cliff (2008) has some of Cao Cao's poetry in it, but I cant remember whether its in part 1 or part 2 of the film.. probably part 2