Chinese-Forums

屌丝道士~ Audio w/ text (native material)

grawrt

That sounded fun - audio follows the text quite closely (in the few minutes I listened to) and there's plenty of very authentic usage in there. Not perhaps all for use in polite society though. 

The first 1:45 of the first audio bit is an intro, then the actual story starts. 

How are you using the, grawrt? Reading along as you listen, listening then checking stuff against the text, or....?

I started reading the first one and with a dictionary to help me out it seems like the right level for reading practice, but there is one sentence I'm not quite sure about:

我用130块钱从农药店老板手中换来了农药,结果喝出了一块脚趾甲

He ended up drinking a toenail? How would that even get into a bottle of pesticide?  :-? I must be misunderstanding this bit.

Oh, and also, what's 点背? It appears more than once, but it doesn't appear in any dictionary I use.

• Like 1

Sorry for the late reply! Tests *argh* & sorry I forgot to mention to ignore the first minute and a half.

This is how I usually go through the chapters:

I usually listen through it without reading or stopping just to get a feel for it since it's nice and engaging. Then I take a look at the text and do a quick read through and write down vocabulary I don't know, I usually do this in segments because I get lazy. Then I re listen to the audio while looking at the vocab I wrote down to see if that part of the story is more clear to me. If there are any parts that are still unclear I go back and listen along with the text. Then continue on. Once I get through the whole audio (or perhaps half, depending on how tired I am), I usually let the audio play in the background as I read the story in depth.

I'm not sure why I do this honestly or if this is a good system.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well, as a Chinese, I could answer those questions:

我用130块钱从农药店老板手中换来了农药,结果喝出了一块脚趾甲

Drinking a bottle of pesticide but find a toenail in the bottle. You could imagine that how weird the situation is.

This knid of situation could be expressed as 点背——everything you try to do has a bad end or in other word, you are too unlucky.

Drinking a bottole of pesticide is a very classic way to commit a suicide in Chinese rural area. When a man tried to kill himself by drinking a bottle of pesticide and then he found a toenail in that bottle, he would feel disgusting and realised that he was unlucky enough to suffer such weird situation.

• Like 4