Chinese-Forums

Good American ESL Textbooks and Teaching Materials

metal.lunchbox

I am an ESL Teacher in China and I am looking for textbooks and other teaching materials. I have found a number of programs I like which are well designed, focus on communication, and they include multimedia resources. These textbooks are from Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press. They're great, but I'm looking for American materials because USA is number one! Just joking, I speak American English and I feel that it would make more sense for most of the accents in my class to match the teacher's. I just can't find a comprehensive ESL text with audio that I like that comes from the States. Any suggestions?

I'm working with beginners who would likely find listening comprehension much easier if the accents are similar at first. I say it one way then they hear someone on the test say it a very different way. I'm sure you can see how keeping things simple and somewhat consistent in the beginning would benefit the student? If you are suggesting that this is not a valid concern, would you mind elaborating a little?

I should also say that the students and their parents have expressed their preference for American English, so that is another reason for my search.

Their accents will be what they will be - largely Chinese. They may copy you; they may not. And I think it is important for them to realise that there are many accents of English, just as there are many accents of Chinese. Getting them to copy your accent will be the least of your worries.

What is an 'American' accent, anyway? New York? Chicago? Alabama? California?

Are you aware that the national curriculum students are following in school is based on British English? That is why they all have BrE textbooks and Oxford dictionaries.

I'm not talking about the students' accents. I'm talking about the difference between my accent and those on the recordings. Despite some differences between the regions, there is definitely an American accent, trust me. It's a pretty standard distinction that I didn't just make up. I'm looking for suggestions for materials. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm aware of variation in American English. There is no shortage of it, but it's quite subtle especially if you ignore the South. There is no standard American accent, but there's a lot that these accents have in common. I speak with an American accent. I can say that because when people who aren't experts in the sounds of American English hear me speak they immediately know I am from the U.S. and they are not likely to recognize any regional difference between me and another American. We do speak differently but to the untrained ear it's pretty much the same. The same cannot be said in comparing most American accents to the accents predominant in Oxford University Press ESL materials. I definitely want the student to be exposed to different accents, but not so much at the very beginning. At that stage they don't understand basic English pronunciation and it makes it easier for them to pick it up if they can just focus on one variety of English.

In either case, if it helps you can ignore everything else in this thread, the point is, I'm looking for a good American ESL text with audio and or video. Does anyone have any recommendations or maybe some experience to share?

Liuzhou is giving you a good suggestion... In that the accent of the materials and your accent don't need to match. It doesn't really matter as much as you seem to think. You might be surprised at how well students do compared to your assumptions. If your students are children, their minds are liked sponges primed for learning, now is the best time to throw accents at them. I find it hard to believe they would have trouble with a generic British accent on a CD just because they listen to your American accent twice a week. At school they are probably listening to British english or very heavily Chinese accented English from their teacher. Then any western TV would also mix accents.

Equally, it doesn't matter if you have to teach "lorry" instead of truck...just teach both regardless of whats in the book.

In short, i think you need to just pick the best textbook possible for your students. If this is produced by Oxford then id go with that.

We use "backpack" books at our school, they have American accents but our school is British mostly. Its never even come up as an issue. Actually. I believe the author of these books is Spanish anyway. You could check these out but they are for children.

Thank you for your suggestion. My point is not to debate the relative importance of accents, but rather to find useful new materials. In either case, I appreciate the input from both of you and will reconsider whether my current materials are the best suited for the task.