Chinese-Forums

Shanghai?

Manuel

I've just returned from a job interview in Shanghai which has lead to an offer. Initially I was quite happy but, as I walked towards the train station through the streets, I started having second thoughts, because it dawned on me that there was nothing compelling about this city. That is, unless you like concrete buildings, traffic noise, shopping, restaurants and crowded places? To me it seems like the sort of place that would slowly but steadily deprive its inhabitants of positive human qualities, and it represents many of the things I stand against (consumerism, decadence, pretence, etc).

Maybe someone who lives or has lived in Shanghai can point out some positives.

This isn't directly answering your question, but I've always figured how much you enjoy the place you're living in, no matter where in the world it is, depends on how many friends and family you have there.

• Like 2

Shanghai is convenient. Transportation is convenient (both within the city and worldwide). There are many talented people here. There are many job opportunities here (as you have found out). The city is relatively clean and organised. Law and order seems to be better than in most cities.

• Like 3

I think many Chinese cities will have

concrete buildings, traffic noise, shopping, restaurants and crowded places

For me, I like the ambience of the Puxi district (especially the old French concession), and find that the well-developed subway gives the city a more "walkable" quality than many other Chinese cities I have visited.

• Like 1

Thanks for you comments so far. Convenient international transportation is a good point. Another thing that crossed my mind is the fact that I haven't yet experienced night life in Shanghai. With the exception of a couple of pubs, the night clubs in Wuxi are pretty bad. I suspect in Shanghai there are many clubs where real people go there to enjoy the evening and the music rather than to flaunt wealth and pick up hookers.

• Like 1

concrete buildings, traffic noise, shopping, restaurants and crowded places

Doesn't that describe most major cities around the world?

Is your question more about Shanghai vs other major cities, or major cities in general?

I know what you mean, if I look for work in China it will be more than likely by in Shanghai  I feel the same about Shanghai, just simply don't like it. I can see why it appeals to many though.  I got a nice feel for Kunming actually. Not a great place as a tourist but would like to live there. My 'type' of city

Shenzhen is god awful in my view. 

This isn't directly answering your question, but I've always figured how much you enjoy the place you're living in, no matter where in the world it is, depends on how many friends and family you have there.

Agree with that! Best city I ever lived in was Belfast in the nineties. Was there for 6 years and at that time is was a total sh#thole. Run down, poor, bombings, shootings, terrorists and army on every street corner but met a great group of lads  and a cracking time! Was dreading it before I went there.

• Like 1

Sounds like you should move to Scotland. I highly recommend it. 

More realistically - it kind of sounds like you've made your mind up about Shanghai. But why not take a weekend to go back, seek out some quieter, nicer parts (do they exist, Shanghaians?) and see if you could live there. 

I've only visited Shanghai a few times, but to me it seemed a lot more livable than Beijing. More walkable, more convenient transportation, more places on a human scale. I liked the French concession and Hongkou. It also has the 高楼大厦 and the tourist traps, but I felt they weren't hard to get around. Perhaps you can go back on a short holiday before deciding?

Also, what are your alternatives? Is the job a step up from what you do now? Do you prefer Wuxi over Shanghai? Would you like to go home instead? There are better places to be than Shanghai, but also worse ones.

• 10 months later...

Quick update... I turned down the job and instead managed to create a position for myself by persuading another company to open a representative office in China, which I will be in charge of. I chose Wuxi as the location for the office (because that's where I live). National flights from Wuxi are actually a lot cheaper than from Shanghai, and the airport is nice and small so you don't need to arrive 2 hours before departure, so visiting customers is convenient. Commuting is faster and way cheaper than in Shanghai, too. I will be able to work from home most of the time (except when visiting customers), and only when there is work to do (unlike the other job which required me to be in the office every day 8:00-17:00 regardless, which is ridiculous and is basically what makes people unhappy about work). Add to that the lower living costs in Wuxi and you get a happy me. So after all I think I made the right move :P

• Like 2

#8 -- @Johnny --

I got a nice feel for Kunming actually. Not a great place as a tourist but would like to live there. My 'type' of city

Don't want to derail the thread, and realize the discussion is about Shanghai. But I've lived in Kunming most of the time since 2007, and it gets two thumbs up from me.