Chinese-Forums

Links Directory

roddy

If there was a link directory on Chinese-forums.com . . .  

1. 1. If there was a link directory on Chinese-forums.com . . .

• I would use it
    • I would use it and contribute (add links, review, comment)
    • No use to me

There's a possibility of adding a links directory to the forum. It would be possible for members to add, comment on and review links. It wouldn't impact on the current running on the forum, it would be in a seperate section (although it would still run on the same database, and would use the same usernames, etc).

It would cost a bit to set up, but nothing unaffordable. I think it would be a good thing to do as there's a chance to build up a directory of links to sites in both Chinese and English that are of use to the community on here.

However, there's no point in me doing it if there's no demand - hence, a POLL!

If you are shy you can whisper your vote to me. :wink:

When starting a poll you can choose if you want votes to be public or not, and you get warned before you vote. I guess if it was something more sensitive then anonymous might be better, but this is hardly personal information, and it’s also useful for me to see who is voting how – if 5 people say they’ll contribute, but I can see they are members who only visit once every 6 weeks, I can discount that accordingly.

Wix – yes, that kind of idea.

The company that provides the forums software ) provide a few paid add-ons - one is a link directory, the other a photo / multimedia gallery, there may be others. I pay, they let me download it, then I install it.

The portal is also an add-on, but they provide that free.

I've actually got the directory installed now, but haven't made it public as there's nothing there now and it'll be a week or so before I have the time to sit down and add a bunch of links. If anyone is interested in doing some preparatory work (deciding on category structure and adding in the basic links like zhongwen.com, pinyin.info, etc ) drop me a pm or email and I'll set you up with access.

Roddy

EDIT:

The first paragraph isn't true. The forums are provided by Vbulletin.com, but the portal and links come from VbAdvanced.com

Roddy

• 1 month later...

That was a long week :wink:

Our Links Directory is now up and running.

It's quite simple to add new links - just click on Submit a Link, and enter the details. Most links will go up immediately, links from guests and recently joined members will be checked by link directory admins first (currently just me, volunteers very welcome)

I've also added a new block to the portal which will show you the 3 latest links added.

Comments welcome, particularly on the directory structure.

Roddy