Chinese-Forums

Fuzhou Dialect (Fuzhounese)

UltraDMan

• 10 months later...

I am in the tampa bay area in Florida. We do not have a large chinese population here. The asian groups are more from Vietnam. Thailand etc. What I have found out that is besides a few people from Hong Kong and Taiwan everyone else is from Fuzhou. Just crazy to not know then one after another say they are FuzhouRen.

I found this book on amazon which is listed as Fujianese but is supposedly specifically Fuzhounese min dong not min nan/Taiwanese.

http://www.amazon.com/Fujianese-English-English-Fujianese-Dictionary-Phrasebook-Hippocrene/dp/0781813131/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1449104644&sr=8-8&keywords=hokkien

• Like 1

This looks awesome, I'll have to order it!  

At the moment I've only got Li Zhuqing's "Fuzhou-English Dictionary", which kind of replicates the venerable 福州方言词典 of the venerable 现代汉语方言大词典 series (it seems to be the same dictionary on Cuobian). I've seen Li Zhuqing's grammar book too.

Just found this

archive.org

an alphabetical dictionary in the foochow dialect

robert samuel maclay 1870

1148 pages

it is a free archive and you can read online

This was difficult to to find with all the phonetic spellings on site but found it with a google search way down the line.

You got me I need to learn a bit of this as almost every chinese speaker where I live is from there.

Cheers

• 6 months later...

After Cuobian went offline, there's now this 福州话在线学习网. With sound files!!!

(June 2020 EDIT: unfortunately both are now offline)

The venerable 福州话方言词典 is also up in PDF (for the moment)...

I discovered the 福建方言大赛 on 土豆 and 优酷 the other day - cannot believe it took me this long to see this! Not just 福州话, but also 闽南话、莆田话、客家话 too.

• 6 months later...