Chinese-Forums

Raise in Foreign Student Subsidies?

habote

Hi all,

http://www.china.org.cn/china/2015-01/22/content_34629814.htm

I came across this article the other day saying that there would "A new scholarship system offering more financial support to foreigners studying at Chinese universities." 

I'm not sure if what they are referring to is the Chinese government scholarship or not, but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? Even if no one can confirm, has anyone else heard word of increases in scholarships for foreigners studying in China? This would be a very considerable increase from the subsidy given to students on the Chinese government scholarship.

Thanks for your help.

Hopefully we get some more information soon, especially since it would appear that these increases would be in place by the start of the Fall semester. At least I think that's what I take it to mean, because the article said that the subsidy increase will be backdated to last September. 

• 4 weeks later...

Can confirm this. I have friends (we're all at Xiamen University) who are on the Chinese Gov. Scholarship and their stipend has increased. This month on the normal day they receive the stipend (15th of the month), they both received about 9000 yuan total (!!!). This 9000 included this month's stipend at the new increased amount (3000 a month I think?) as well as paying back for the past months.

Anyone know if there's any plans for increasing the Confucius Scholarship stipend? It doesn't seem very fair that they get an increase while ours stays the same :(   (especially since the CIS stipend was less than the original Chinese gov. scholarship stipend to start with...)

Great to hear some people have already received their increases. No change here (Zheda) as of yet, but will keep fingers crossed for March. If they do backpay as mentioned that would be a nice little package!

Aloneboy, is that 2500 for undergraduate and 3000 for post-graduate? would Masters be included in 3000 then?

No change here (Zheda) as of yet, but will keep fingers crossed for March.

I talked to Li Tang. He told me there will definitely be an increase after the holidays. He wasn't 100% sure about the amount, he also could not confirm when are we going to get our monthly allowance. 

So a little update form Zheda,

My roommate who is on the full masters scholarship direct from CSC received a bulk payment into his account today! So maybe check your accounts if your on CSC scholarship?

I on the other hand am on the Zhejiang University Scholarship , although previously it was the exact same as my roommate (same monthly stiped, same medical insurance, same no paying for fees/accommodation) haven't had anything put in my account. Possibly means Zhejiang university scholarship students won't receive the raise, anyhow Im looking at it positively that Im lucky regardless :)

• Like 1

It's not a false alarm, the raise in living subsidies is true. I just got the notice yesterday at BLCU.

They list the new expenses as follows:

Undergraduate: 2500

Masters degree & general scholar: 3000

Doctor's degree & advanced scholar: 3500

If you were on scholarship last semester, they said they'll also be paying the difference from last semester (with the exception of the first month).

This is only for CSC. Confucius and other scholarships aren't included.

It was a false alarm, because the payment he mistakenly thought was from the university was from his workplace. Wasn't a reference in anyway to the overall raise in scholarship, which like you go on to say is happening at other universities. I just wanted to make the other ZJU students aware he jumped the gun a little bit.

It is confirmed that there's a raise here by the International students office of Fudan university, but they said that it will take sometime to provide the money and take approval from the head of the school, so we're still waiting ...

Ok, so the stipend is being raised for the Confucius Institute Scholarships as well- 2500 a month for 1 year, 1 semester, and bachelor's students, and 3000 a month for master's students.

I didn't learn of this through an official announcement- a friend just noticed the change in the official information put out about this year's scholarship. See http://cis.chinese.cn/article/2015-03/06/content_579302.htm. It appears they won't have the one-off resettlement subsidy anymore as well, but I suppose that's fair considering students will still be receiving much more money than before overall (it also doesn't mention anything of registration and textbook fees, so those might not be covered anymore too?...).

No news of current CI scholarship students having their stipend changed though like for the gov. scholarship, and I can't say I expect it will be considering the year is almost over :\