Chinese-Forums

100 Best Chinese Insults (Captain Obvious™ content warning: will contain profanity)

Demonic_Duck

What does 'kill it up' mean, Duck? I can't find it in any dictionary.

Here are some  more for your list:

烏鴉嘴

臭嘴( as in 閉上你那張臭嘴)

妖精(as in 她天天打扮得像個妖精似的)

醜八怪

長舌婦

小白臉

花瓶

東西(不是東西 - in fact, I don't think 是東西 is any better than 不是東西)

沒出息

姘頭

There are many more but they are so vulgar that I am not going to list them here.

• Like 1

What does 'kill it up' mean, Duck? I can't find it in any dictionary.

I'm afraid you've mis-parsed the sentence, it should be “killing it / up in here”. (Who said segmenting English is easy?) “Killing it” colloquially means doing a really good job at something; “up in here” is just a colloquial way of saying “in here”. The two colloquialisms collocate well together - I guess they're both originally from AAVE?

There are many more but they are so vulgar that I am not going to list them here.

PM them to me then, I'll quietly edit them into my original post without attaching your name to them. :lol:

Speaking of incredibly vulgar insults...

“我咒你小鸡鸡烂掉”.

• Like 1

“Killing it” colloquially means doing a really good job at something; “up in here” is just a colloquial way of saying “in here”.

I see. Thanks.

PM them to me then, I'll quietly edit them into my original post without attaching your name to them. :lol:

I would like to help but I really 說不出口. The last insult in #39 is already the strongest I've ever used in my life - it's also the first time I've used it...Sorry Duck. : (

Somebody has to say it, right? malagebi? 

malegebi < malegebazi (疤子)

also: 婊子养的

... and my favourite, which I don't think is particularly rude -- can Kenny tell us where it falls on the 'would-Kenny-ever-say-it' scale? -- 

你吓老子!  (maybe dialect?)

can Kenny tell us where it falls on the 'would-Kenny-ever-say-it' scale?

I rarely use any insults or profanities. And when I do, I use only the relatively milder ones, for example 神經病, and 王八蛋 when I am furious . As a general rule, in no circumstance would I ever use any profanities that involve genitals or sex, plus some others.

Many Chinese, especially northerners, and westerners seems to be pretty okay with 傻X, and even take it as a pet phrase. But it's a rather rude word to me, shockingly rude when used by a woman.

I think it should be “巴子” instead

You're probably right, must have been explained it to me wrong.

What does “你吓老子” mean?  I always thought “老子” was referring to oneself arrogantly or in a joking way.

Yep, I'm your daddy, & you're speaking out of your backside.

I rarely use any insults or profanities. And when I do, I use only the relatively milder ones, for example 神經病, and 王八蛋 when I am very angry . As a general rule, in no circumstance would I ever use any profanities that involve genitals or sex, plus some others.

I'd say a good general rule is to never straight-up insult anyone, unless it's in jest, or unless they really deserve it. :wink:

As alluded to in my original post, “神经病” would actually be considered a very inappropriate form of insult by many people outside of China, because it can be viewed as offensive by those who genuinely suffer from mental health issues. “Idiot” is fine, “retard” or “loon” is not (although many people still use “retard” fairly liberally).

Many Chinese, especially northerners, and westerners seems to be pretty okay with 傻X, and even take it as a pet phrase. But it's a rather rude word to me, shockingly rude when used by a woman.

I think there's also a difference in how it's perceived depending on age. Young people (teenagers and early twenties) seem much more comfortable with it than those in their thirties and above.

As for “one rule for men and another for women”, I can't really understand that. Either it's OK, or it's not OK. Also, my ex-girlfriend (江西 province, certainly not a northerner) used this word all the time.

• Like 1

As alluded to in my original post, “神经病” would actually be considered a very inappropriate form of insult by many people outside of China, 

I've been aware of that. By the way, how do you distinguish 神經病 from 精神病 in English?

I think there's also a difference in how it's perceived depending on age. Young people (teenagers and early twenties) seem much more comfortable with it than those in their thirties and above.

I agree with your observation.

Also, my ex-girlfriend (江西 province, certainly not a northerner) used this word all the time.

Personally I would not date girls who use such expletives. It's not they are bad or anything. It's just that I can't stand it.

As for 'one rule for men and another for women', mayo has provided a good explanation. 謝謝麻油同志。:mrgreen:

Languages aren't logical  :mrgreen:

Ah, but this is more about social norms, not language itself.

I've been aware of that. By the way, how do you distinguish 神經病 from 精神病 in English?

To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is in Chinese, except that 精神病 seems to be more formal and never used as an insult?

Personally I would not date girls who use such expletives. It's not they are bad or anything. It's just that I can't stand it.

萝卜白菜各有所爱。