Chinese-Forums

How long can I stay outside of China with a Z visa/Residence Permit?

aprose1977

I have a Z visa and residence permit (expiry 31 July 2015).  I came back to the UK for a short break but may have to stay a bit longer than anticipated.  I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a limit on the period of time I can spend outside of China during the period of my residence permit? 

I arrived in the UK on 20 Jan and will preferably go back on 20 Feb.

If anyone knows or can direct me to somewhere I can find this information I would be really grateful.

Best wishes

Adam

As I understand it you will have no problems. As long as the Z-visa has been transferred to the full permit which seems to have happened here then you may leave the country for as long as you like returning before the permit expires (though there may be questions were you to return just before it was due to expire).

You don't have a Z-visa and a Residence Permit. Your Z-visa was just an entry visa and was cancelled when you got the residence permit. 

You can enter any time during the validity of the residence permit. In your case up to the end of July 2015.

• Like 1

I think for that length of absence (a month) you won't raise any eyebrows - it's Spring Festival, after all, half the foreign teachers in China are probably doing the same thing. I can imagine if you did something like took an eight month break and were re-entering two weeks before your permit expires they might want some confirmation that you actually still have a job to go back to.