Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

@ Andreea CGS includes 7 program, i.e. Bilateral Program. As a citizen of EU country you can apply either for Bilateral Program or EU Program for Chinese language studies. You belong to the category of general scholars. Probably the dispatching authority for Bilateral Program is Chinese embassy in your country. 

Thank you for your reply and I know this, but one of my collegue applied on his own. He sent the documents directly to CSC in Bejing 2 years ago, and he received the scholarship. The thing is I would like to apply in the same way and i am a little confused because Ididn't read anywhere the same steps he did. 

Are you sure that the recipient of the documents was CSC? You can apply directly to a Chinese university, and that way the embassies are equated from the formula, because you send your documents directly to China.

Andreea - Did your friend apply for a language scholarship or a degree programme? As far as I know, CSC will not accept applications from individuals, but it might depend on the documents and the agency number used. If he really did send it to CSC on his own, he must have used an agency number that supported his application. But as far as anyone is told, they do not accept individual applications. Last year when I was applying, my uni told me I would need an award letter from my embassy. I then asked them 'should I send you the award letter or should I send the award letter directly to the CSC?' They were unsure, and the uni told me 'I think either way would be acceptable, if your application consists of an award letter then the CSC will accept it'. Finally, I just decided to apply to my embassy, but I figure if CSC had received an envelope with my documents incl. the stamped award letter from the embassy they would have accepted the application. Try to find out from your friend if he had this document, or any important supporting document. Having said that, I think it is too risky and I would advise against trying to apply on your own (i.e. directly through CSC). Unless you actually know a board member personally.

So, is the foreigner examination supposed to be valid when the university will choose you or when you will enter in China?

I did mine mid-February, so it will expire mid-August and course usually start in September.

But I'm leaving for China in two weeks and would like to send my application before leaving... Do you think it's a huge problem?

Edit: seems like you need it to be valid for the Visa application, so it seems OK. If someone can confirm.

It should be valid until you apply for the verification certificate. You see, when you will apply for the resident's permit, they will not be looking at your physical examination form (it is confidential), they will only require a verification certificate.

I did my physicals 1 week before I applied for a verification certificate, but my deadline was set to expire 6 months after my verification certificate was issued to me. Which means I was given about 1 week and a few days extra. I don't know if I've explained that well enough. If you verify your physical examination while you are in China, they might set your verification certificate to expire 6 months from the time it is issued, instead of 6 months from the time you received the results of your physical examination. That might give you th time you need to process your resident's permit, without having to re-do anything. The verification certificate also means your physicals are complete, so you won't have to go back to the clinic to get it verified.

• Like 2

In other words, Clef Ment, you can submit your application as early as you want, you won't have any problems.

If you do your physical in your country more than 6 months before the day you apply for a residence permit in China, you might have to spend more money on a medical exam when you are in China. You already did it in mid-February. Maybe you will need to pay more than other students in September, but your application, visa and residence permit won't be affected in any way. 

Basically, if people want to save some money (and save themselves from dealing with more paperwork) they might want to postpone doing their medical until March. However, if you had it done before March it does not mean that you have made a mistake. 

• Like 1

Hey. My friend applied for a non degree program, 1 year of language program. He had the number of the Chinese Embassy in Romania, but he was the one who sent his documents, not the Romanian authorities. He said he was awarded by the Chinese Government. The Romanian Government was not involved at all. I know that they do not take individual applications, that's what I have read so far on every website. He said that Google and this forum helped him a lot. I've just asked him  where he sent the documents because it's still unclear for me too. I hope he will reply soon.

@satirical, a few pages ago you asked about emailing the schools and formats, etc. See if you can find the department's page on the website, (example:international relations department at Nanjing normal) and near the bottom, it should have an email and phone number of some teachers. :)

And about the email...i usually start the letter with "dear [name]" and ending with "thank you (enter, enter) [your name]", and the content would be maybe 3-5 sentences, usually saying who i was and then my question. i typed in chinese because i think its more comfortable for them, so they would want to respond. i did this for all the emails i sent to schools/embassies, but my success ratio is not so high. (2/5 responses, 5 sent, 2 responded)

someone at my school suggested i try calling the school through skype international call. i think you can too! do you use skype or have someone to help you do this?

@Andreea, do you think your friend sent documents straight to his school in China, and then his school sent it to Beijing? maybe then he got awarded and his letters and info were sent back to Romania for him.

@ inte & satirical From my experience sometimes it takes very long time to get response to email from uni. From one I received the response after 43 days. I sent email to their international education school just to ask about the major I want to apply for, even didn`t ask for a pre-admission letter. Now I am patiently waiting for a pre-admission letter from the same uni. :)  

There is also option in the CSC website Contact us for each university. And in the option Key Programs (if there is any) also may be found contact info for international students.

If you can call the school, it's best you do so. Teachers in China don't seem to care about replying to emails or they like to be chased around a bit. This is frustrating for us because we tend to put a lot of time an energy into our emails. I sent my uni a lot of emails in the span of a few months and never received a reply. Finally, I decided to call them to ask for a pre-admissions and they sent it to me on the same day, within an hour of the call. So I would advise you all to be pro-ative and call the uni if it is within your means to do so. Make sure you call the International Students Office of the school, otherwise you will end up talking to people in the wrong department, and they will not be able to advise you...nor speak English.

• Like 2

@inte, I don't know what happened, maybe you are right, but that friend hasn't replied to me yet, so I am looking for other ways to apply for a scholarship. Can I introduce one agency number, submit the application for one time of scholarship and then introduce another agency number for another scholarship?

Hey guys,

Sorry I know we've talked about admission letters before, but I'm just a bit concerned re. timeframes. I've tried to get in touch with all the Universities I'm interested in (Bei Da, Renmin, etc) but no one is responding as it is Chinese New Year. How long does it usually take to get an admission letter? Would these Universities request that I go through the full-blown application process (is it even possible to apply so early in the year), and if they do, how is it possible that I can obtain this letter before the end of March?
I was hoping it would be a matter of just telling them you are interested in their program and providing some info (maybe a transcript), to receive a pre-admissions notice - its not like its an official offer letter, so hopefully not a convoluted process!

Thanks,
Lin

Hey Guys!

As of today, I am all-set. In fact, today morning I was going to send application documents to universities I have chosen, but I wanted to have a look at their websites once more. I have encountered such an info like:

"To ensure normal reception of application materials, it is advised not to submit application materials in the winter vacation of the University (from Feb. 5 to Mar. 5, 2015)" 

I guess this is the case only for Master students who have to apply directly to universities of their choice. Others who apply through embassies may not have to wait until the winter break is over. 

So I guess in case like this it is not "the sooner the better" ha.