Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

@ZhangkaiRong: I am from France, but yes my university isn't very helpful. They don't want to translate anything, don't have english versions of anything, and don't even give more than 1 transcript. And it is funny because it's a university focused on international business...  :wall

So my problem is that I only have 1 x french diploma and 1 x french transcript (originals).

Should I just have each of them translated? What about notarized copy, should I do copy of the french versions?

@Voyager  In general Master's degrees do not have to be related to your Bachelor's.  Whether it will help/hurt your CSC chances, I don't think anyone here can answer that for you as we REALLY don't know how they decide some things.  I'd recommend emailing the CSC themselves.. when I did, they emailed back pretty quickly!

@Clef Ment  You're only supposed to send notarized copies of diploma but you can do transcript too if you want (doesn't hurt!) what you definitely will need is notarized translations with the diploma for sure and quite possibly the transcript. 

Like with voyager, I think it would be best to hear it from the horse's mouth and email them so you have a 100% definitive answer.

But I can say for sure you will need an English or Chinese notarized translation of your diploma at the very minimum.

I think the safest way would be to get Notarized copy of each (of theoriginal) notarized translation and then photocopy of each.  If in France you have something similar to US notary services it won't be TOO expensive.. perhaps for me that would cost somewhere between 10 and 15 USD.  And then you KNOW it's good enough.  Better to pay a bit to ensure it's safe than to not do it and then miss out on a scholarship for something so silly!

But like I said.. I would definitely email CSC directly with the exact expectations they have.

@DongLian

Translator offices are just fine - they are permitted to issue a translation that is official. Yes, in the US the price should be more or less the same with notary services or translation offices, but in the EU, notary services usually requires you to pay 4x-5x of the translator office price. It does make a difference...

And believe me, China embassy employers don't have a clue that your transcript/diploma has been stamped by a notary office or a translation office - and they also don't care. Stamped, signed? Okay...

I hope you will receive a scholarship and will experience on-the-spot that Chinese bureaucracy is not that well-organized as you imagine...

Well I'm not familiar with translation vs notary offices as I'm in the USA so my stuff is in English already.  Being an "official" translation is most likely in their eyes, just fine.  I would actually bet that it's not that they don't know the difference, they might actually know, they're just ok with that because it's still official.  CSC Document requirement says "notarized transcript" but I told Guan Xin at the US Embassy I don't have it notarized,per se, but I have an "official sealed copy" from the university and she said it was fine too.  I think they just want something that makes it legit.  So I won't break that seal lolol. 

But I'm already fully aware of the bureaucracy already.. I was in China working for an English teaching company and already experienced all that.  But the question is, am I willing to bet my scholarship it's remaining that way?  Nope.  It's not cost or time prohibitive in any way for me to just "do it right".

Because while they're kinda like whatever about stuff, they're might also getting increasingly aware of fraud and such and may choose THIS YEAR (that's my luck lol) to crack down on things being precise.  Just not willing to take the risk, so I won't tell anyone else to do anything less than perfect because if something does indeed keep them from getting the scholarship on my advice, I would feel terrible.  If someone chooses to do that, they can but I won't advise it!!

Edited for clarity as I'm a terrible writer and I type like I talk. hahaaa

• Like 1

There is no such thing as "notarized copy" in France anymore, the only way of "officializing" a copy would be to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but knowing France administration it would take a lot of time.

I found a registered agency who can do official translation for diplomas and transcripts, I will contact them for the translation, and put normal copy of the french diploma / transcripts.

I could even put the originals diploma / transcript and ask for the CSC to give them back to me after they have checked my application.

Edit: actually notarized copy can still be done in some places if you need them for foreign studies, I will check it.

I would refrain from sending the originals. They explicitly say they won't return materials.. I doubt even with a request to do so that they can be trusted to send back.  I still think you should email the CSC and ask what they would prefer after explaining the situation in France.  I mean, why not?  You should get a reply within 2 or 3 days tops. 

But yeah.. that kinda sucks.. we can even get notarized copies at banks and such.  Weird to me that France doesn't have some way of doing that. ;b

@ Clef Ment Because you are from Europe, I guess that your Diploma Supplement consists of 8 sections. The seals and/or the signatures should be in the end of the section 7. The section 8 includes INFORMATION ON HIGHER EDUCATION IN YOUR COUNTRY. It is possible to exclude the section 8. You ask the university you want to apply for about it. I asked and I was told that I can exclude the section 8. If you exclude the section 8, you`ll pay less money for notarized translation.

Well I need to have my transcript translated too (which is two pages), so 3 pages certified translation = 150€.

I am going to send an email to the CSC to know if a translation made by one of my teacher would be acceptable, otherwise I will pay the translation agency.

@ DongLian Yes, diploma is 1 page. But Diploma Supplement that includes transcripts is longer, the number of the pages of diploma supplement may differ because of the differences in the languages, but according to Bologna Declaration the form of diploma supplement is the same for all European countries and it is too long.

That`s why I was worried that my aplication documents would exceed 20 pages. :wall

@ZhangKaiRong @shuoshuo Thanks for all the help! You guys answered my questions perfectly.

@DongLian

I'm still totally undecided on where to go. My classmate that told me about the scholarship in the first place is planning to go to Jilin, because he went there in the past on the CSC scholarship, and he knows people in the admissions office. He wants me to go with him, but I don't think I can do Jilin cold. I've studied in Beijing and Shanghai before, so I kind of want to try a new location. I'm looking through the giant list of universities that I can use the scholarship, but I'm not really sure how to tell which university/program is better.

Hello everybody,I would like to apply for the Master degree in nternational trade taught in ENGLISH but I would like to study one year of chinese language before probably business chinese if possible. Do you know if it possible to obtain the scholarship for the chinese program if my master will be in ENGLISH?

I am currently in BEIJING at BLCU via CSC scholarship...

@satirical  Are you doing a 1 year program?  Sorry if you said already.. because I can see how that would be complicated so many schools have a 1 year scholarship.  I'm not sure how helpful I can be then.. Since I am shooting for a 2 year program that narrowed my choices greatly.  I probably wouldn't worry about which is "good" so much since language education is always good if you're putting in effort and going and practicing.  At least that's my impression.

I would try to narrow your search using other factors first.. like you say you prefer not so cold weather.  Is there an area that would be ideal weatherwise that you can try going?  Comfort is important.  I'm the opposite. COLD WEATHER PLEASE!!

Then you can pick other things to narrow like air quality, food style, cost of living, etc.  And see if you can get down to 5 schools or so then you can see if there are reviews from current/past students. 

That's about all I can say about that. :b

EDIT: @satirical what school is your friend looking at and what is he going for?  I didn't see any Chinese language programs that were CSC eligible so I was wondering if he was doing something separate.. and I figured if he's going again it's a good school. lol  I might consider that region if I wanna do a masters or if I need to pay my own way if I don't get CSC scholarship.

Thanks!!

@Katty, I'm not sure if you can have a scholarship paid Chinese language class if you're doing and English master program.  The language classes are only done if you're doing a Chinese program, I'm pretty sure of that.  However you COULD in theory get CSC scholarship to study chinese FIRST and then get the scholarship AGAIN for the master's program separately..

However I'm not sure if this is allowed because then you'd have gotten the scholarship 3 times.  I heared of people getting it 2 times but I'm not sure about more than that. 

I also do not think you can extend your scholarship as the term is dictated by what you're offered but I would email the CSC directly about that.  I'm fairly sure I read that you cannot change/extend/alter the scholarship that is offered however that might be the general rule but perhaps they will make an exception for you or something.  I would ask them that directly.

@satirical Have you seen the CUCAS website? it has reviews and pictures of all the Chinese universities, so you can see what other people said, and get a little feel for the university.

And yeah Donglian is right! is there a kind of weather or city size you prefer? Sometimes a good environment helps you study better. :)

here's the CUCAS website: http://www.cucas.edu.cn/

I just logged into the online application website, and I got a question. 

there is no document required to be uploaded to the website, right? I am asking because I had hard time accessing the websites. After using different browsers I finally got into it. Then some parts were missing. So just want to make sure if we have to upload anything to the websites, like HSK scores, transcripts and whatnot.