Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

Just been in to the overseas student office at Sichuan University and picked up my JW201 and acceptance letter so I can apply for my student visa in Hong Kong.  I'll just say that, while I have been very impressed with general level of organisation and fast response time coming out of the office at Sichuan University, this is China and you must take all necessary precautions that things might not go according to plan - especially if you do things just a little bit differently.  I had told them twice, once in person and once by email, not to post the materials to me and that I would collect them from the office in person.  Nevertheless, I went at the earliest opportunity incase anything went wrong and when I got there my documents were in the "to post" pile with the 快递 slip already filled out and paperclipped on top.

Anyway, they had piles and piles of stuff for students all over the world.  So if you applied directly to a university then you probably won't have received anything in the mail yet, but the university should know the outcome.

I received my documents from XJTU on the 11th. 

It's true that you need a lot of patience in these situations. This time of year will not only be extremely busy with various scholarships but also an extremely busy time for schools in general with exams and preparing to enrol new Chinese students. Not too mention if you have been to China before you will know they are notoriously badly organised.

I really think the key to being successful is a recommendation from somebody related to the university (I know this is easier said than done). But I emailed my choice of university several times without them even replying at all. I contacted a teacher I had known who worked there and the next day the admissions office contacted me requesting my documents.

1) What is your native country? UK

2) Where did you apply? Sichuan University

3) When did you apply? 2nd half of March

4) When was the deadline? "April"

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No

6) What program did you apply for? Master in Chinese History and Culture (Taught in Chinese)

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? (1) Sichuan University

8) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No

9) What agency number did you use? The one for Sichuan University

10) Where did you get your physical done? China - at the special place they have for doing medicals for visa purposes.

11) Did you get your documents notarized? Yes, my degree certificates at the main 公证处 in the city I lived in (my medical didn't need to be notarised obviously).  It was a bit of a faff as they didn't really "notarize" them as such, rather they just translated them and stamped that.  It came in a nice little booklet though.

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? Yes.  

13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? No.

14) How were you notified? I received a phone call about 4 days after posting my application off (remember - from within China) telling me that I had been accepted by the university and my application would be forwarded to the CSC in Beijing to be assessed for awarding the scholarship.  I asked at that time how likely it was that I would receive the scholarship and they said something like "its a formality", followed by "80%".  At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, my application was very strong - I already have a PhD and I was applying for a Masters.

15) When were you accepted/rejected? I was told to keep in regular contact with the university and told that if I hadn't heard any news by around July 10th to get in touch.  I emailed them on July 10th and they replied immediately telling me I had been awarded the scholarship and would be posting out the documents shortly.

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Sichuan University, Masters in Chinese History and Culture.

17) Laihua status? Checking?  Why are we still talking about this?  It doesn't mean anything.

Finally, I'd like to say a big thanks to this forum and all the moderators and admins that keep it running.  A year ago the CGS was something I'd heard rumours about from friends who'd met people in bars that were apparently getting paid to study in China.  There is nowhere on the internet that provides a resource as helpful as here for the CGS.  I'd also like to thank kdavid whose lengthy, in-depth discussion about doing a Master's in History was a source of great information, inspiration and warning.  I would spend days trawling the internet for info on that exact topic and then one day, there it was, fully formed with everything that I needed to know.  I hope I can give back in the future as much as I have gotten out of here!

• Like 3

Hello everyone. Today I've got an e-mail from the international office of SISU.

As we know, you’ve been granted the CSC full scholarship based on the bilateral agreement.

Your recommender will contact you and inform you to collect the admission documents. The exact date we don’t know, because the CSC Beijing will take care of posting the documents.

Please contact the Chinese Embassy in your country for the details. Thanks.

Now, I'm a bit in a state of shock and I'm not sure if it means that I got the scholarship, my brain is just not working. :D
Thank you in advance

Guys, i found my name on second list of European union. Still i didnt get any email or anything and i dont know which university ( its said to be discussed). Should i contact someone about it? Even though my name is on the list, until i got some email i wont be celebrating.

Congrats to all of you

CONGRATS!!!! I hope they get on them Embassy-submitted ones! I have my plane ticket and travel arrangements already set though because I'm going anyway.. I worked hard for 1.5 years just so that I'd have a backup. I could've applied for scholarship last year but if I didn't get it, I wouldn't be able to go and have to repeat the process this year. So I was like I'll wait until 2015 to apply and save money.. I'm a woman on a mission!! haha

I just cannot afford 2 years.. but 1 is doable!  If nothing else, I will travel around for a little while or teach english or something.

Back-ups are always a good idea :)

@lanicaa11

I don't think we will receive any email. We just have to wait for the admssion package. I hope it won't take too long.

As far as the university is concerned, I guess you could contact someone, although I think they will anounce it as soon as they know.

Congrats :)

HI I DESPERATELY NEED SOME ENLIGHTMENT HERE.

I am an Indonesian student who just got accepted to Peking University, a course in public policy with full scholarship from CSC. The school require me to come at Sept. 5 for registration. Based on this forums..l can safely conclude that all I've got to do now is to process a visa and book a flight to China; I assume that I won't have to take care of the housing or bank accounts right at all..

But, I have several concerns:

1. How do I make the housing arrangement? Will the school just take care of it during the registration day (for example: I will be placed in some kind of dormitory), or will I need to come early to search and book for the room by myself?

2. I feel grateful that I receive full scholarship from the CSC, but how will the CSC transfer the money for stipend, housing, etc? Do I need to make a Bank of China account from my home country, or they just give me an ATM or debit card -- sending the money there regularly every month -- when I register myself to the university?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to meet new friends in Beijing, and I hope I can befriend you all! 

I am very worried. I applied for Fudan special CGS and I was fortunate to be on their list. However, I do not understand if I ma suppose to receive any documents concerning it? I am especially worried because I live in Europe and in a few days I will move back there, but I put my present address as Australia, where I am now and have been for the past year. :o