Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

Hi guys,

How long does it take to get an admissions notice from a Chinese University, and how do you go about getting it? Im worried it takes a long time to get an admissions notice, but the CSC scholarship application is due in April :/

Thanks,

@lfyin  What you're gonna go for is a "pre-admissions" notice rather than a full admissions (which comes later).  This only takes 1-3 days from when you send the materials.  You can find out from the school what materials they want by emailing them, it varies I've found.  The usual stuff is sent  via email in PDFs or whatever.  Nothing fancy,  Usually it entails the following:

1) Passport scan

2) Highest Diploma

3) Admissions form

4) One school had me do a "Study Plan" similar to CSC study plan. Took me 10 min to write.  Just said why I would be good for the school to accept me and why I felt like the school would be the best place for me to do my respective area of study.

@inte and rong, I wouldn't be surprised because it's Chinese administrations handling it.  We all know that it happens but again, whatever happens in the past that might've been unorthodox cannot be gauranteed for furture submissions.  So while it's possible not all pieces of the form are necessary, one should never be advised to do it unless they cannot have it completed anyway due to some time/financial constraint.  In which case, sure take the risk.

• Like 1

@英泰inte - I am not trying to get people to do the PE just for the sake of obtaining the scholarship, I am advising people to do the complete physicals so that when they are applying for the residents permit they won't have to re-do the tests or go back to the hospital/clinic because their physicals was considered incomplete. Like I told you before, the physicals is also a requirement in my country, they won't even consider you for scholarship witout the tests. I remember not having done one (the liver function test) because I didn't know about it, and I was delayed 1 whole week waiting for my results, when I could have been spared the hassle had I known about it. I don't know why you're advising people here to skip whatever it is they can skip because for health reasons, you might as well get a thorough test done because you will be away from family for a while and the last thing you need is to find out you've got some sort of health issue. So yeah, you can tell people to skip some tests, I would advise people not to, and to be as thorough as possible.

@Voyager2014 - No, your agency number should be the dispatching authority that will be sending your documents to CSC. So that's either your embassy or your first choice university (with your pre-admissions notice).

Ifyin - It depends on the university and programme...some universities will issue you an admissions notice with no hassles and no complete application documents. Other universities will charge you the standard application fee and expect your full application documents.

I didn't even think of that part today ShuoShuo but you're absolutely right.  This is the reason I'm having my medical form finished and signed second week of March.  Should be valid when I get there then and then I don't have to pay the 800RMB or whatever it is to do another one >.<

@Ifyin- I should clarify my comment was solely based on every Uni I emailed on the topic and got a Pre-admissions for which are all non-Beijing non-Shanghai schools that don't have the same quantity of western people.  Although it has just reoccurred to me that I did email Tsinghua about it and they only told me I could apply March 15th at the earliest and wouldn't allow me to "pre-apply" so I suppose there is an example of that kind of response.

It was awhile ago so I forgot about it!

@Voyager2014 - No, your agency number should be the dispatching authority that will be sending your documents to CSC. So that's either your embassy or your first choice university (with your pre-admissions notice).

Does that mean you don't have to send any documents to your second and third choice universities? if no, how will they know I applied to them?

@shuoshuo, @DongLian

Complete, valid FPEF forms can also be made redone by the Chinese when you're applying for the residence permit - you can't reason with the medical center when they have an amount of hard cash to be collected from foreign students - not even if your Chinese is on excellent level. Yes, you can be lucky and you can slip through the quota they set, however a lot of foreign students complain for charging them extra at the medical center. My real FPEF - not the one I used for applying the scholarship - was the most comprehensive and formal it could be in an eye of a Chinese person: it was filled both in English and Chinese, both the FPEF and the additional test reports (blood, ECC, chest x-ray, I also got a stomach UV test) were stamped by a red seal of my MD and the hospital on every sheets, it was also signed on every sheets... Still, they charged me for an extra 30 yuan since my chest x-ray picture was "too small" (although I also handed it on CD with ultra HD resolution)... Other classmates were charged for only having the picture of the x-ray, and not on CD. A Belgian guy was charged for only having the picture on CD. A Russian girl had to redo the blood test because she only took the original tests for AIDS, syphilis, hepatitis B and six other stuffs, but the medical staff saw that other people had blood test for another disease as well.

Morale of the story: if they need the money, they can make you pay - regardless of your form. It's chaotic, and it's all about the money.

I'm not advising not having a complete form when you arrive to China, but redoing the whole process can be a real financial burden if your form will expire until the end of September - a deadline-like date for handling the residence permit stuff once you're in China. Yes, you can do all the tests just to let yourself be in peace, but if you're struggling to pay 150-200 euros for getting all the tests done, then don't do it - hand it in without the blood/chest x-ray/ECG tests, since you still have a very good chance (the same as others) to get the scholarship - and pay the dues later when your scholarship is guaranteed.

Wow, our ways of thinking are so diverse! i feel like ZhangKaiRong and Shuoshuo have a kind of yin and yang energy going on. :mrgreen:

@Clef Ment, i just tried logging into Laihua with firefox....and it opened! maybe it will work now for you. :)

inte: SystemError!Please click here to relogin. 

And if I click I have a 403 error. Same thing on all browsers (safari, chrome, firefox and IE), PC / Mac and I can not create a new account...

What the hell ?? Don't tell me they have closed the application...

@Clef Ment, i just tried logging it at the university, and i got all the same errors as you, in all browsers. Then i tried logging in at the home computer...and i got no error. :conf I have a few ideas:

1) try different computers, maybe it's using a certain wifi that gives you the error.

2) if you are very worried, you can still print out the same form and write in your answers.  :)  You know where to find the pdf form?

EDIT: that link you posted gives me errors, but when i search the link through google, no errors:

3) try this link: http://laihua.csc.edu.cn/inscholarship/jsp/student/StudentLogin.jsp

• Like 2

@shinigami - Haha I know right? Just like Zhangkairong said, if they want money they will get it from you. Nowhere on the form mentioned the liver function test and yet I was told to do it, so I had to spend money taking the blood test and then I had to wait a whole week for my results. Plus, nobody likes sudden blood tests and needles, definitely was not expecting anything like that.

Yes, a pre-admissions is the same as an admissions, I think they call it that because it's early, and so some of them states that you will be enrolled and your fees will be covered by the CSC if they agree. So I guess it's like a conditional offer, while the admissions notice is an acceptance.

• Like 1

Guys, please help!

Two weeks ago I have got my transcripts but it turns out my degree (indication of graduation) has not been posted by that time. So on transcripts, it does not say I have graduated but it has all the credits I have taken. And I don't have my diploma, but I have degree verification certificate (which states the date of my graduation) 

Do you think I have to order new transcripts (15$ each wow!)? or Do you think degree verification certificate should be fine? 

P.S. (Transcripts usually state degree status)

@英泰inte

It worked for me too, thanks!

I've settled on the universities I want to apply to, Nanjing Normal, Nankai and Hangzhou Normal. Do I just email them for more info on their applications? I know they have the CSc sites with the details of what's requires, but is emailing them a good idea? What kind of format should I use?

Also, I'm not sure where to get the forms like the FPEF and such, forgive me if it should be obvious, but I've missed it somehow.