Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Applications/Results - 2015

mazi

@pol_diyan What?! At my school, we have not received it yet. You seriously need to talk to your school about your medical insurance. Show them in writing where it says that it should cover that aspect if they refuse, call CSC!

@Nnedi Ugo - While paying students who bought medical insurance received insurance cards,  scholarship winners here were not given any and were advised that in case of sickness, just go to the hospital and get 发票 and they'll "try" to reimburse. I think that's not how insurance normally works. I need atleast a card or a record that says Ive got insurance.  

I think they got rid of the settlement subsidy with the increase in monthly allowance. You should get the medical insurance, they tried to say this wasn't included but if you point it out on the form and insist. I think they are just trying it on and getting you to pay. It should be noted this insurance is not very good and the coverage limit is very low. It's probably advisable to get separate insurance if you actually want to be covered properly. Somebody I knew had to go to hospital for a week and the whole thing was more than used up by that.

@pol_diyan

Yes, I understand that tottally. I am a scholarship student as well and I did not understand why I did not receive anything when they noticed that I was a scholarship student. I guess they have it on record, but it would be nice if I had something in writing too. You are not the only one. Many other students were confused. They have to do better. 

Hey Guys,

To those who are here already, I bid you welcome. How are you enjoying your first few days in China?

While most schools tend to pay the allowance as soon as you come, some tend to wait till the end of the month. So don't worry, you will get paid. No more settlement allowance, it was scrapped due to the allowance increament.

Also, subsequent monthly allowance payment date is quite dependent on the universities. While some pay around the first week of every new month for the said month others pay around 20-24 of the same month. So if your friends gets theirs before you, don't panic you will get yours.

As for the insurance thing, it doesn't really cover much. You will need to get extra insurance if you want proper coverage. Having said this, if you know you have some kind of allergies or ailments that come as a result of certain consumption please stay away from eating such things. Also, most drugs are available over the counter. 

Also, please stay away from trouble. You want to have fun? have fun but be smart about it. The thing is students get suspended or even sent packing for even getting drunk (and causing nuisance). Most cities have very strict rules against public misdemeanor, so what is obtainable in City A( or university A) may not be obtainable in City B (or University B). So please be careful.

I wish you a very good stay here and hope to meet some of you physically.

Till then, Peace.

Mazi 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • New Members

I've been studying at CUC for about a month now, and here are some things (out of many) I've learned, but i'm not sure if this applies to all other schools:

1. It is very important to acquire a Chinese phone number as soon as possible. Ask anyone you know to help you purchase a sim card from either China Mobile or China Unicom or any of the other brands (most would go for Unicom since it provides free wifi). The cellphone number from your country is useless, even if you have roaming on, it would be expensive. Also, it would be advisable to have an email address not related to a company that is banned. If you usually work with gmail, i suggest to get a Yahoo email or 126 email instead since those don't require VPN to access.

2. As far as I know, the Ping An Annuity Insurance Scheme is required for all international students. Do take note that this insurance only applies AFTER you have already paid the public hospital fees (there is no coverage for private hospitals), so be ready to have plenty of yuan which you'll need to hand in when getting treated. You need to keep those receipts with you as they are what will allow you to get back your money from the insurance company when you turn those receipts over to the international students office. Their style is essentially reimbursement.

3. Physical Examination checks are mandatory, even if you have already completed the medical requirements for the visa process back in your country, they will still ask you to go to a travel healthcare center or something of the sort. In our case, we were taken to Haidian Clinic by bus the day after we first registered. As for what happens there will depend on the documents have with you. A little tip I would like to suggest is to make sure to have the original and photocopies of the following: X-ray, blood test, Foreigner Physical Examination Form, ECG, your student ID or campus card, among other documents. If you have these, then they won't charge you anything but you still need to turn them over. If you don't have some of these then they will charge you and have you go through the fast process of going to certain rooms, each doctors specializing in one thing or another (if you have zero documents, then you will need to fill up some forms and go through everything, then probably get charged around 400 yuan). The reason why we had to rush was because the bus that took us there would only stay for a few hours and because the clinic would close by late afternoon, so the staff at the clinic worked fast, although we still got stuck in traffic on the way back to school.

4. If you are a degree student, then classes are generally fun, and the teachers for my courses all have experience with studying and teaching overseas. They often like it when you participate actively in class, but I know that this wont necessarily apply to every school. again, i would like to reiterate that this is just my experience so far.

5. For those worried about VISA extension, it is not too much of a problem since this usually takes place about a week after you register and have done your physical checks. You can ask the international students office about it, or sometimes they will usually post a notice (at the building of your dorm) detailing the basics. The X1 student visa you applied for back in your home country is meant for a month, so the extension is meant to to last for 11 months. You'll probably need to do this once a year, depending on what the school says and what the embassy/government also says, i think.

6. If you play League of Legends, then it is imperative to set up a QQ account to play on the Chinese server (this will only work for Windows, there is no Mac client available). If you play on any other server (in my case, Oceania), it can be frustratingly difficult to get a good and stable reception even with a VPN.

7. If you have an iPhone or an Android or a similar device, I highly recommend downloading WeChat, since it is extremely useful and super popular. Not only can you send messages or post stuff as you would like in Facebook or Twitter, but you can also voice call or video call other people (similar to Skype and Facetime) for free (though wifi charges on your phone may still apply). In relation to item number 1, I recommend having a 4G and getting a KTL 100 plan (I'm using china mobile) to keep you afloat.

8. Lots of Chinese students can speak English, some okay and others very good, so if you have any difficulty in getting around your campus, dont be afraid to ask for help. if you are still worried, then other international students can help you out as well. The teachers or staff at the office can also be of help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Deleted a bunch of offensive comments.

To new members, please keep in mind that Chinese-forums is not like other forums and we expect you to generally conduct yourself a civil and respectful manner, or you'll find your posts deleted and your account banned.

To regular members, when you see that sort of post, best not to engage.  Just report it (thanks for those who did), and admin will get around to cleaning it up.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I'm wondering why pages of messages got deleted from November to the present, including nine and Chris Two Times (sp). I swear there were at least 96 pages of info in this thread. Who deleted them?