Chinese-Forums

Recommend me a TV show

roddy

I'm in the mood to start (and perhaps even finish) a new Chinese TV show, but am completely out of touch and have no idea what's good and who's hot. What is the 潜伏 of today? The 走向共和? The 中国式离婚? I need help. 

I'm fairly open to genre, but I guess I'd prefer something modern - I'll go for something historical if it comes highly recommended though. And by modern I mean the last 100 years. If it's wartime I probably don't want it set on a battlefield though, and I could do without any tales of grinding rural poverty. No ridiculously rich people. Actually I've basically ruled out 97% of Chinese televisual output, haven't I. 

I had a look on Sina at stuff that was made in 2014, in China, and sorted by rating (who's rating, I don't know). 独家披露 and 七年不痒 are both 都市题材, which makes me assume they're going to be about rich people running around being rich. 西藏秘密 - I'm not watching a Chinese TV show about Tibet. 团圆饭 looks viable, the credits have a bit of a Beijing feel to it. The rest got disqualified due to variously having explosions, yachts or children in the image.

I also watched this trailer for 月供 as I noticed it has 曾小贤(?) in it, but it doesn't look that good and the trailer seems to give away every major plot point there could possibly be. 

I'll probably give 团圆饭 a go, but would be great if anyone's got a recommendation for something that's both decent and recent. And that isn't that one where they took it off air to remove the cleavage. 

《北平无战事》is the 《潜伏》of today :). Seriously, it is well done. It's another series about the spy wars between the KMT and Communists, but this time with an anti-corruption twist -- by the KMT in their last days. 《锵锵三人行》spent several episodes discussing the show. You should give it a try. 《团圆饭》is awful. Pure pablum.

http://wapbaike.baidu.com/view/10075751.htm?sublemmaid=15846819&adapt=1&fr=aladdin&bd_source_light=1701851

北平无战事

• Like 1

Gato, many thanks, both for the recommendation and the warning. 北平无战事 looks like a good bet, unless anyone else wants to suggest something else. Renzhe, that's a great idea, but are you sure you'll finish this decade? I'm busy in 2022...

Gosh, had literally just popped an old and never-watched DVD of 茶馆 into the machine as something new to watch after finishing off 秘密图纸 last week ... but 北平无战事  might be a better follow-up, so am downloading the first episode off youtube ...

Renzhe, that's a great idea, but are you sure you'll finish this decade? I'm busy in 2022...

The 1998 version shouldn't take too long, but that's just the beginning.

But you could also join me in watching the 2011 version, the 1983 version, the comic book version, the audiobook version, the Beijing opera, and then I'm thinking about re-reading the original, it's been too long since I read it.

• Like 1

It won't take you much more than an hour to watch all the episodes, but a pretty popular and actually pretty funny show to watch is this: 小明和他的小伙伴

It's a sketch comedy show where almost all the actors are kids, and quite a few sketches are especially funny if you're interested in China's education system - I think it's episode 7 which has a completely rigged classroom "debate" where the kids have no choice but to agree with the 正方

Stapler, see if you can find something interesting and if you start watching it and post about any problems you have we'll see if we can help. 

Realmayo, how fast would you be planning to watch it? I'm thinking of aiming for a few episodes a week, don't want it to be too intensive. 

Thanks for the other recommendations as well!

It may be too difficult for me, or at least too difficult to enjoy as part of my ongoing splurge of three-hours-a-day TV/podcasts. The first 10 mins I saw required a lot of pausing to to read the subtitles: if it continues to be that tricky, and with dudes barking out quick clipped military orders the whole time, I'll give up. But then I know that the first couple of episodes always seem way harder than subsequent ones. I'll persevere and if it gets easier than will probably get through around 3 episodes per week.

• Like 1

I do not know if you could like what I will be recommending but..okay. haha! I am fond of watching talk shows and the ones I really like are 超级演说家 and 奇葩说. They both can be found on youtube.

But there is this drama that I have finished:爱情回来了. It is so funny and I think it was aired 2 years ago? :D But my roommate is watching 青年医生, this is just last year.

• Like 1

I would love to watch 创世纪. Yes, 部 is season in English. 

I am also interested in the Water Margin, but I am too lazy to read the book. Not sure which 电视剧 to choose. 

The 2014《红高粱》can't compare to the 张艺谋 movie. What an eyesore! Maybe I am partial because I love the movie adaptation of the novel. (sorry 周迅 fans) 

http://www.youku.com/show_page/id_zcbffe9d2962411de83b1.html

My absolute favourite is 《西游记》, 1986 version. This is Chinese TV at its best. Both extremely popular and of good quality. Most Chinese people have seen it. The best portrayal of 孙悟空 I have seen. Guaranteed to make you feel happy. It's like 月亮代表我的心 of Chinese TV. 

Sneak peek: Episode 4, skip to 9:00  

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTEyMTYzMzg4.html

One other show I recommend 《侬本多情》, 1984.

http://www.soku.com/detail/show/XNTk0MTI=

Set during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. Romance with layers. Based on 《沉香屑第一炉香》by 张爱玲, theme song by 张国荣 (plays one of the leading characters). Spoiler: no fairytale ending. 

Sneak peek: 

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/avcNY2s15Kg/

• Like 1

Not sure if there are specific genre's you would prefer to avoid, but there is a recent 电视剧 that a lot of my Chinese friends really enjoyed called “离婚律师”。 You could give that a try, I hear it was fairly well received (meant to be pretty funny).

EDIT:  另外,我大部分的中国朋友都在追最近版的“武媚娘传奇”和“神雕侠侣"。 有兴趣的话也可以去看一看它们。