Chinese-Forums

[Very beta] Test run of upgraded forum software

roddy

There's a fairly significant upgrade to the forums software in the works. It's by no means imminent - they've been working on it for who knows how long, it's currently on Beta 6, and we can expect at least a couple of RC (Release Candidate) versions before 4.0 comes out. Even then it's possible I'll wait for a more stable and tested 4.1 before upgrading. Could easily be six months away. 

I'm running a test install of the beta with an old domain and hosting account, at livinginchina.com. If anyone fancies having a look at it, they're welcome - you'll be able to register (validation emails may end up in spam at the moment, if they don't arrive at all post in here and I'll sort it out) and post to test stuff out. As it's just a test site you should assume anything you post (and indeed your account) will get deleted at some point, either when I'm done testing or during an upgrade process - post cat videos and random chat, but don't go creating any valuable resources.

Also, please don't assume what you see there is going to be what we end up having on here - there's months of development still to be done, plus whatever changes we make after it ships.

Come along and play if you want. 

• 3 months later...

Have just done a fresh install of the latest version (it's out of beta now, but still getting lots of bugs squashed. Reported 2 just while setting up). Would be good if people take a look and play around to get a feel for it - I've started a few topics to post in, and you can start more. 

http://www.livinginchina.com/

Anyone who already registered will need to sign up again, I'm afraid.

Not just Chinese text, it seems. Posts go like:

Oh, yes, it says you mentioned me. How sweet. 

​

Random  get thrown in here and there.

Yeah, the host (not the ones I use here, btw) were doing some upgrading last night and I'm wondering if that's the problem. Have a couple of support tickets out, but I do actually need to be translating today....

• 7 months later...

God, I can't believe this was almost a year ago. Basically the release of the software was later than expected, when it was released it was missing a lot of useful stuff, it's suffered some substantial bugs, and I have not yet felt happy about upgrading. This has been a problem as I've spent the last year thinking 'oh, I'll do that when I upgrade'. 

I've now decided to just set aside the idea of upgrading for the next three months. The test site is still available at the above address and is fairly up to date if anyone wants to play with it.