Chinese-Forums

[Very beta] Test run of upgraded forum software

roddy

Theoretically you can still use the raw BBCode, but I've had to file bug reports for cases where it doesn't work, and once you've submitted something you don't get access to the BBCode on later edits. There's a source HTML view, which is overkill. 

I may take a very deep breath and switch to Xenforo, which is what Pleco's forums run on now. But going to try to not think about it for the next three months anyway. 

Isn't it when you type [ quote ] and [ / quote ] to make a quote, or [ i ] and [ / i ] to make italic script? I use it sometimes, and would miss it if it were gone altogether.

It would still work. It might not work so well in certain situations though, and it would be harder to edit once submitted. 

It's all kind of academic though, as I'm not doing anything about this for three months at least. 

I wonder how many people use what imron described?

Probably everyone who finds it faster to quickly type a few characters, rather than: stop typing, move hand to the mouse, select text, search tool bar for the right button, click button, move hand back to keyboard.

Every single formatting/style option available from the toolbars has a short code that can be used to achieve the same effect and will usually be a faster option for anyone who can touch type.

• Like 1

Yeah, I tend to type the bbcode as well. One thing that kills that in the current setup (and would kill it even more if there were no "lights off" option) is when you paste text and the text editor decides to invisibly insert default formatting markup.

One thing that kills that in the current setup (and would kill it even more if there were no "lights off" option) is when you paste text and the text editor decides to invisibly insert default formatting markup.

In most browsers, that is prevented by pasting with CTRL+SHIFT+V

There is, though, some handy new stuff coming. The ability to (subject to the target's notification settings), summon someone with an @mention. For example if I type @imron, imron gets an email or a notification or something. 

• 3 weeks later...

You mean on this site now? I thought you meant over on the test site, or somewhere else that has upgraded. What exactly has changed, as there shouldn't be any changes on here, unless a minor upgrade has done something I wasn't aware of. 

Sorry, I thought that the problem with the BBcode tags that was mentioned on this thread was causing my problems with BBcode because the planned upgrade went through.

​I am talking about this site.

test second test

​First of all, the cursor seems to move to the top on its own (while I'm typing), and the editor sometimes spontaneously loses focus and I have to click on the edit field again.

​Secondly, quoting via BBcode sometimes does not work. I haven't figured out how, but the quotes do not seem to survive edits.

​EDIT: just now, this quote survived the edit, strange.

EDIT2: Firefox 38.6 ESR, no problems until very recently.