Chinese-Forums

Do adult schools like Wall Street/Web int. prefer older teachers?

alwaysstriving

I'm a 32 year old Canadian man, unrelated BA, 120 hour TESOL and a few years teaching experience in South Korea.

I've applied to some schools/recruiters. Three different recruiters told me that they recommend waiting until May to come to China because Wall Street English has position open then. I was a little surprized because I would have thought that they would want me in China ASAP to get the recruting fee ASAP and get it done with. My only guess is that they have more applicants for entry level positions and the recruiter can fill the Wall Street position with me.

Perhaps it's my age, experience or a combination of the two.

My questions:

1)Do adult schools like Wall Street Web Int. prefer teachers who are not the fresh out of college 22 year old?

2) Is gettng hired by an okay language school like Wall Street/Web int. competitive? The recruiter seemed to think that I have a very good chance at Wall Street but of course he works for his comissions and not for me (he probably simply figures that I'm more likely to actually get hired by Wall Street than most of his other applicants).

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

I cannot answer the main topic of your post, but I do want to weigh in on something you said.

I'm glad to hear that you are aware the recruiter does not work for you, and that getting their commission is the priority. I'd like to encourage you to keep up your job hunt, but look for direct hire positions. This will dramatically decrease the chance you get put in a bad job. Roughly 10% of job postings are from the employers themselves, but if you aren't particular about your city you can easily find a few in an hours search.

From the looks of it you have both the requisite degree and teaching experience, and the certification is a plus. Good luck in your hunt!

I'm also an agent, so I think maybe I can say somthing about this topic. Generally, we do want the applicant to come to China as soon as possible so that we can get our comssions quicker and most schools would like to hire teahchers between 24~45 who have related experience, Bachelor degree or above and an English teaching certificate like TEFL.  Freshmen usually have neither  experience nor certificates. So you have a very good stand in finding a teaching job in China. As for the question that whether schools like Wall Street are competetive, I can't say for sure but it is a rather big trainning school here. By the way,  do you still want to teach in China? Maybe we can have a talk :)

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for WSE and at the time I left they were hurting for teachers in Beijing.  I'd avoid the agent and apply directly to the company.  As long as you have a TEFL certificate and any kind of BA, experience teaching and are competent, they will hire you.  Age isn't an issue, I'm 36 and when I became a teacher there I was 32.  I knew some teachers who were 40+.

I was hired by WSE through a recruiter myself.  After I sent my info to the recruiter he forwarded it on to the company and I was contacted by their internal recruiter.  The recruiter who I worked with and his replacement have since left the company and I don't know who the new person is otherwise I'd put you in touch directly.

• 3 weeks later...

a TEFL certificate

I thought WSE was pretty strict about this being a CELTA or at least an accredited TESOL, rather than a 'TEFL' which often is meaningless. No? They that desperate?

1)Do adult schools like Wall Street Web Int. prefer teachers who are not the fresh out of college 22 year old?

I don't work for WSE but can speak from my experience working here for 3 years. I would say that it's better to be slightly older, with experience but without being 'too old' not to be marketable. A lot of people judge their teachers quite heavily on looks, at least the first impression. If look like you have experience in life, in teaching, but also maintain some kind of 'youthfulness' (not necessarily young) then this works in your favor. If you are slim and handsome - as a male - then it's even better. There are exceptions of course, some older teachers (40+) get some students because they think they'll be the wisest or strictest etc

I would say being fresh out of college counts against you more often than not. At least with students or parents of students who really take an interest.

2) Is gettng hired by an okay language school like Wall Street/Web int. competitive? The recruiter seemed to think that I have a very good chance at Wall Street but of course he works for his comissions and not for me (he probably simply figures that I'm more likely to actually get hired by Wall Street than most of his other applicants).

I'd apply directly. There's no need to go through an agency. If they are pretty short of teachers -as above states- they probably do have some positions and if you aren't picky about where you go then even more likely.

I probably wouldn't use recruiters soley either. Get on Daves esl cafe China board or try find some large chain schools and apply directly.

• 1 month later...

alwaysstriving, you'll do absolutely fine with the credentials and experience you already have. You've done the job before. It's one heck of a trial-by-fire for genuine newbies, but even they get through it and then they're fine.