Chinese-Forums

How would they know if I am really in Canada.....

alwaysstriving

I'm currently staying in Thailand.

I am a Canadian citizen and I am looking for a job in China.

Once I find a job I will need to get a Z visa.

In looking at the requirments and the process for a Z visa, I could use my parents address in Canada, have my dad accept the documents/do the paperwork for me etc....

I don't see how they could know that I am not really in Canada.

Advice?

• Like 1

To get a visa, you usually have to get your passport to the embassy, which then puts the visa in the passport. Also, you need to sign the application paperwork. I suppose it might technically be possible to have your dad forge your signature and send your passport in the mail, but you might want to ask yourself whether it's a good idea to commit fraud over a visa.

How are you going to appear to arrive in china from Canada when you really left from Thailand?

This seems fraught with problems and difficulties, why not bite the bullet, go home, do it all legit and above board and then with a clear conscious go and enjoy your stay in china.

If you are in Thailand, then your passport is in Thailand.

If your passport is in Thailand, it is not at the Chinese embassy in Canada.

That's how they'll know.

Though I guess that as long as you go to Canada personally to pick up your visa, it should be ok.

I'm confused about why you can't apply through the Chinese consulate in Thailand... ?

This seems like the best idea, unless there is some reason not to?

That said, I'm not sure why others are so worried about doing the paperwork remote.  I cannot speak to a Z-visa from Canada, but for several F and L visas in the USA we've never gone in person.  It was through an agent, we downloaded the paperwork online, filled out the paperwork, mailed it to the agent, they confirmed everything, took it to the consulate, picked it up, mailed it back to us.  I don't recall every having to sign anything specifying where I am located, although it does say to use your "nearest" consulate.

do it all legit and above board and then with a clear conscious go and enjoy your stay in china.

For the 4-5 days and probably > $1000 required, my conscious can deal with doing it remote.

Of course, it's easy for me to say that, as I'm not the one taking any risk.

Also, if you send your passport back to Canada, what do you do when the Thai police stop you on the street and demand to see it?  It happens.

Being in a foreign country without your passport isn't a brilliant strategy.

If you do it via a visa agent where you just send in your passport, theoretically that should work, unless they check your Thailand entry exit stamps, but I think that would be quite unlikely (I assume you dont get an entry stamp when entering Canada).

I do not know of anyone who has tried this, but it might work. If you go for it, please post your experience on here I would love to know 8)

Like liuzhou says, the risk is not in getting your visa turned down, but in being abroad illegally without your passport.

You'd be in Thailand illegally, you can't identify yourself, or explain what you're doing there. And passports get lost in mail all the time, a Canadian passport is quite a valuable commodity.