Chinese-Forums

can i change a toruist visa into a student visa?

cjake22

I want to study Chinese this fall in Nanjing. I have been looking at schools, but I feel it would be better to make a decision once I am in the city. I want to come over on a 90 day tourist visa. If I came during the summer would I still have time to apply to schools? Also If I miss the application deadline are there any good private language schools I could apply to?

I apologize in advance for a somewhat long-winded response, but I'm not quite sure the best way to address the questions.  I've divided the response as best I can, and would be more than happy to clarify, if necessary.

Visas:

Any Chinese visa-type change question should be prefaced with the following:

• Your mileage may vary, as the implementation of the regulations is inconsistent at best;
  • A visa run, where you exit the country, and apply for and receive your new visa in a nearby territory (e.g. Hong Kong) before re-entering on it, may be required; and
  • Any plan relying on a visa-type change is ill advised, as there are simply too many variables to guarantee success ahead of time.

The Tourist (L) to Student (X1/X2) is probably one of the more straightforward visa changes, and may not be quite as problematic as the transition to and between Work (Z) visas more frequently seen discussed on forums like this.  That said, I would still highly recommend NOT putting yourself in a situation where a visa-type change is required, if at all avoidable.  Simply put: If you're studying in China for even a semester or two, there is ample time to travel while living/studying in China.

Schools:

If you have been looking into schools, you probably already have a good idea as to what's on offer, and others here can make Nanjing-specific recommendations.  I'm skeptical, though, that being in the city will really make much of a difference in an otherwise well-informed decision.

Application Dates:

Most university application deadlines range from May to July, for a semester program beginning in September; while private schools and/or programs not conforming to a semester structure may operate on rolling admissions model.  Degree and scholarship programs will almost certainly require much earlier application; while some language programs may still accept applications until just weeks/days before the start date.  If your target program/institution is the former, stick to those spring/summer application dates and avoid the travel before starting.  If your program/institution is the latter, you have more flexibility to travel before hand, but a visa run becomes much more likely.

TL;DR:

Clarify your priorities, and things will become a lot more clear.  If your priority is to study, then apply and go as a student first, saving your travels for during and after your study period; this will avoid any visa hassles and you will likely get more out of the travel anyway.  If your priority is travel, then go early as a tourist well aware of the fact it may complicate student applications.

• Like 2