Chinese-Forums

Korean/Japanese community

chinabro

Hi,
I'm planning to study in Yunnan Daxue at the end of this year. If all goes well, I'll be able to choose either Japanese or Korean language as one of my subjects in my course. If not, then I'd probably just self study anyway.

I have a long term goal of learning Japanese or Korean, and so 2 years into my course I will transfer/exchange to Korean or Japanese university.

While I am in China it would be good if I could meet up with another international student from Korea/Japan as a language partner.
I have previously studied in Hangzhou and there was a large Korean community, but Japanese people were quite rare.

I'm wondering what it's like in Kunming, and specifically Yunnan Daxue - Would it be easy to find a language partner for either of these languages?

Thanks

When I studied in Kunming (3 years total at Yunnan Normal, KUST, and Kunming College of Eastern Languages) I usually had both Japanese and Korean classmates no matter what school I was at. Kunming has a pretty large Korean community (5000+).  (I haven't lived there for 4+ years but I assume this is still the case.) Sounds like you're preparing for an East Asia or Chinese Studies PhD course?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...